In 1996, Mark Edlen and Robert Gerding founded Gerding Edlen with the vision to approach real estate with the singular focus of creating places for people. They were committed to creating, developing, operating and owning vibrant properties that preserve the environment and positively reflect lifestyles of the future. This original vision remains—guiding Gerding Edlen and positioning it as a recognized national leader of sustainable development, which includes more than 75 LEED certified properties. Today, Gerding Edlen has evolved into a unique and dynamic investment management firm that owns, manages, develops and operates a portfolio of Class A, urban assets across the country. Our expertise in development and property management further adds value to our properties throughout the ownership cycle. Looking to the future, Gerding Edlen continues to create exceptional places that will improve our communities, environments and lives.
To help us in this journey, we are looking for your passion and expertise as our new Financial Analyst. As a Financial Analyst/Sr. Financial Analyst
, you play an important role assisting team members with evaluating and underwriting potential acquisitions on behalf of the firm’s discretionary funds, separate accounts, and public private partnerships, by providing analytical support to members of the Acquisitions, Development, Finance, and Fund Management teams.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Perform complex financial analyses using Excel financial models including multiple financing sources and multi-tiered cash flow waterfalls.
- Run Argus models on potential office acquisitions.
- Conduct financial analysis and make insightful and pragmatic recommendations to Investment Committee, senior leaders, decision-makers, and/or managers, ensuring market information aligns with performance analysis.
- Create sensitivity analyses to test various market assumptions and financing techniques.
- Review financial models to be presented at investment committee.
- Assist with the preparation and presentation of investment memoranda to the firm’s Investment Committee.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and update the firm's financial tools.
- Work closely with acquisitions, property management, construction management, and asset management to ensure project finances stay on track through acquisition, development, operations, and sale.
- Create ad-hoc financial analyses as needed for other business lines.
- Assist with investor due diligence, as well as the due diligence process for land, property, and loan closings.
- Help close on financing including the review of term sheets, joint venture agreements, and loan documents.
- Gather and evaluate economic and market data.
- Maintain knowledge of real estate markets in target cities.
If the following sounds like you, we want to hear from you:
- A deep understanding of real estate financial products (conventional loans, mezzanine debt, preferred equity, historic tax credits, new market tax credits, swaps, etc.).
- Knowledge of the real estate capital markets and a thorough understanding of the real estate development process.
- The ability to interpret legal documents, identify potential risks, and translate terms into financial projections.
- Ability to articulate financial analysis and recommendations in a clear, succinct and articulate manner verbally, in writing, and through presentations, to executive management and senior leadership.
- Thorough understanding of MS Office, with expert Excel financial modeling skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, using rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. This includes strong financial and analytical ability.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills (in English), allowing for clear and succinct communication in a variety of settings (phone, in-person and email), and with people of various backgrounds and levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to successfully interface and build strong cross-functional relationships with all levels of internal and external partners and team members.
- Confidence in, and enjoyment from, dealing with complex concepts and situations.
- Knowledge of sustainability technologies and techniques to value and finance them.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in a real estate, finance or related field with a strong record of academic achievement.
- Master's Degree preferred (Masters in Real Estate Development or MBA with a concentration in Real Estate).
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as an analyst in real estate investment, development, or lending.
- Experience with Argus.
Gerding Edlen is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing a full suite of generous benefits, including 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance, subsidized parking, reimbursement for public transit, 401k match and more for all eligible employees. If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter.