Freddie Mac Legal - Multifamily Real Estate (MFRE) is seeking an Associate General Counsel to support conventional loan production, underwriting, portfolio and securitized servicing, and related activities. Most activities are time sensitive and require collaboration with the others in Legal MFRE, Legal-Securities, outside counsel, and with the Multifamily client and related business partners.
- Serve as legal counsel for Freddie Mac's purchase of multifamily loans, including negotiation of contracts/commitments for the purchase of loans and the terms of loans documents. May also serve as legal counsel for Freddie Mac's servicing of multifamily mortgages and other asset management and operational matters.
- Work with the Multifamily Division, Freddie Mac's securities lawyers and outside counsel in connection with the securitization of multifamily mortgages.
- Collaborate with peers to ensure consistency of legal advice and negotiating positions.
- Provide legal advice to internal clients on a broad range of legal matters related to Freddie Mac as a business entity, including the development of products and product enhancements.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Typically has a minimum of seven years of legal experience
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree; membership in good standing in a state Bar
- Legal analytical skills
- Experience in commercial real estate finance with a law firm or corporate law department, including primary responsibility for negotiating and closing transactions (both individual loans and pools of loans)
- Familiarity with common commercial real estate lender-borrower issues and ability to quickly negotiate resolution of the same
- Ability to draft well-structured, complete and concise correspondence and documents
- Ability to create and maintain strong collaborative relationships with clients
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with lenders from whom Freddie Mac buys multifamily mortgages, with lawyers for those lenders, and with borrowers, servicers and investors
- Ability to work comfortably and routinely as part of a team and to cooperate across organizational boundaries
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple pending matters
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Knowledge of the customary legal relationships, legal issues, and closing practices required with purchases of multifamily mortgages by investors and securitization of commercial real estate mortgages
- Familiarity with master servicing and special servicing issues in the context of CMBS transactions
- Experience with structured finance transactions
- Ability to view the closing of transactions as a process as well as a series of discrete deals and to identify ways to improve that process
- Agency/secondary mortgage market multifamily loan origination experience
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you'll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.