This position is responsible for production of commercial mortgage loan investments, including origination and underwriting, on a national basis with specific coverage territories as agreed upon with the VP. The incumbent will work closely with legal and other team members, both in terms of underwriting new transactions and monitoring transactions within their portfolio in conjunction with the asset management function. There are no direct reports associated with this position at present, but from time to time this role might include one or more direct reports in the form of a more junior level loan officer and/or analyst; as such, this position could entail helping to train, develop, and mentor such individual(s).
Our Portland, Maine location is preferred, however, we will consider other Unum offices as well as remote work arrangements.
- Generate, analyze, underwrite, structure, negotiate, and commit to commercial mortgage loans
- Conduct detailed financial analysis and underwriting of potential mortgage loan transactions, including real estate collateral, income/expenses, borrowing entity, and local / regional economic and market indicators
- Negotiate pricing and deal structure to adequately compensate for the risk
- Develop and maintain an effective network of mortgage banker correspondents
- Discuss potential investments on a regular basis with loan officer colleagues to ensure consistency of underwriting standards and to incorporate third-party input
- Develop and maintain in-depth understanding of real estate market conditions, financial markets and trends as they relate to commercial mortgage loans
- Contribute information and analysis to aid portfolio strategy relative to commercial mortgage investments
- Prepare written analysis of proposed investments for review with management and presentation to Private Asset Approval Committee
- Work with internal and external legal counsel on the structure of proposed and committed transactions, terms of loan documents, and closing requirements
- Assist others within Unum with real estate-related matters
- Work with VP, Managing Director – Private Assets and team to provide assistance in monitoring/managing loan portfolio and to make recommendations with respect to modifications or amendment requests.
- BA in business, real estate, finance, economics, or related field required. Advanced degree or certification in related field, such as MBA, CFA, CPA, or JD preferred
- 10 years minimum work experience in commercial mortgage lending, preferably in an insurance company setting; solid knowledge of real estate finance, valuation and credit analysis, as well as real estate documentation
- Computer skills, including Word, Excel; ability to learn new software; CoStar experience preferred
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to work independently within a team-oriented environment
- Ability to travel regularly to meet with correspondents and borrowers to inspect real estate transactions
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.