Come join one of San Diego’s four S&P 500 companies, Realty Income Corporation, the Monthly Dividend Company. Realty Income attracts individuals who value integrity, perseverance, and teamwork. If working in a professional environment that rewards employees based on meritocracy and values work-life balance resonates with you, please apply today.
Our current opening is for an experienced Tax Director who will be responsible for all of Realty Income’s tax planning, tax compliance, accounting for income taxes, timely filing of applicable tax returns, and tax structuring for various types of real estate transactions. The successful candidate will manage the internal company tax team and provide mentorship and opportunities for growth to all tax team members. The Tax Director will also work regularly with other company departments (such as the Acquisition and Legal departments) on tax-related issues and projects.
Specifically, the Tax Director will have responsibility for:
- Communicate with external tax preparers to answer questions, ensure understanding of the information appropriately reflects the transaction, and keep tax preparation moving forward to meet internal and external deadlines.
- Review federal, state, and city returns and work papers prepared by internal tax team members.
- Review returns prepared by external tax preparers.
- Maintain tax accounts and accruals for financial and tax reporting.
- Maintain tax basis, earnings and profits, and other capital accounts.
- Review sales and use, unclaimed property, annual reports, and other miscellaneous required tax reports.
- Facilitate the payment of taxes through AP and electronically through taxing board accounts.
- Gather information needed for future tax reporting and information needed to make informed decisions.
- Monitor Partnership operating agreement compliance and communicate potential conflicts.
- Direct tax team members on daily and weekly tasks to keep projects moving and prioritized.
- Determine if systems and procedures accurately gather the tax information needed for reporting and management decisions and make changes where appropriate.
- Advise on miscellaneous forms involving tax and/or legal structuring.
- Monitor §1031 sale transaction recommendations and provide guidance and input on difficult decisions.
- Participate in complex transaction planning and identify tax implications and recommend solutions.
- Assist with designing and implementing a new interdepartmental function to analyze, research and provided consulting on the potential tax implications on acquisitions.
- Maintain records to communicate activity and decisions in accordance with industry standards and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements (SOX).
- Design tax specific policies and procedures.
- Serve as administrator for tax software, update and perform ongoing maintenance, and continue to help develop use for efficiency and strong controls.
- Plan improvements and identify projects for ongoing development.
- Determine budgets for tax-related accounts.
Yearly and Quarterly REIT Tests
- Review formal REIT test and provide to management and board members.
- Ensure accurate REIT compliance and tracking throughout the year and keeping up to date on business transactions.
- Research and communicate REIT implications for transactions.
Respond to Taxing Boards
- Research applicable laws, Realty Incomes position/reporting, and timing.
- Provide guidance and feedback to other tax team members regarding tax law.
- Review and send an accurate communication to taxing board to resolve notice.
- Determine transfer and state tax implications when purchasing properties or entities and when moving around internally.
- Ensure all federal, state, and city taxing registrations and withdrawals are obtained.
- Respond to inquiries relating to different accounts to determine tax applicability.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Master’s Degree in Taxation preferred
- 10+ years of previous tax experience preferred
Certificates, licenses or registrations:
- Certified Public Accountant license
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of Tax Accounting. Specifically relating to real estate and REIT accounting.
- Knowledge of IRS, state, and city taxing authority’s procedures and forms.
- Knowledge of legal business entities and structure.
- Strong research skills and the ability to read through and analyze complex legal documents and tax regulations to come appropriate and accurate conclusions.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and in writing), with ability to explain complex tax topics to executives
- Ability to give a presentation to a group of executives and/or board of directors
- The ability to work in a fast-changing environment without explicit instructions and ability to adapt to non-consistent day to day activities.
- Ability to identify key information, analyze, and come to appropriate conclusions.
- Strong attention to details.
- Ability to organize and prioritize heavy workload.
- Ability to keep confidential information.
- Strong management and team building skills required to manage tax team members.
- Excellent PC skills including Tax Software, Fixed Asset Software, Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Experience working with related tax requirements for potential M&A activity.
- Experience working on international tax issues.