The Property Controller is responsible for providing ethical and consistent leadership in the financial area of the organization. The position is responsible for focusing on the profitability of the business, maintaining accurate and timely financial reporting, ensuring acceptable levels of compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations, and safeguarding owner/investors assets.
- Acts as the “Chief Business Officer” to ownership, and as such is responsible for evaluating the financial impact on business decisions.
- Effectively manage and communicate cash flow related issues, as required by management/ ownership. This includes the accurate and timely preparation of cash-flow statements, management of receivables, cash balances, control mechanisms, timely deposits of all funds, and preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Monitor revenues and expenses and ensure the accurate recording in accordance with established guidelines. Investigate and critique variances to budget and/or prior year and offer practical improvement strategies to management.
- Monitor the capital planning process by assisting management by tracking all expenses for the project against the established budget; prepare funding requests and project reporting.
- Ensure properties’ compliance on all regulatory licenses and permits, leases, contracts, legal agreements, and the proper execution of all operational taxes. Provide assistance to ownership in enforcing compliance on all these items.
- Analyze financial data and operations in order to assist and advise management in maintaining the properties’ financial objectives.
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts, including bank reconciliations are reconciled on a timely basis.
- Monitor and review loan agreements and ensure proper and timely payment and any required reporting to ensure compliance with the covenants.
- Direct and/or prepare all financial reports in accordance with owner requirements meeting various due dates and deadlines:
- Reconcile Balance Sheet with proper back up.
- Ensure that all Revenues & Expenditures are recorded properly.
- Review “Key Financial Controls” to ensure adherence and compliance.
- Review actual numbers to budget & prior year(s) to find discrepancies in budgeting to improve accuracy in future months.
- Participate in the monthly meetings.
- Actively participate, complete and review the annual budget
- Prepare all analysis that may be required by ownership and outside accounting firms.
Education & Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of related progressive experience in Property Accounting or related field; or a 4-year college degree with an Accounting/Finance concentration and a minimum of 4 years of related progressive experience
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must work well in stressful, high pressure situations.
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must have the ability to assimilate complex information, data, etc., from disparate sources and consider, adjust or modify to meet the constraints of the particular need.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the concerns and issues raised by co-workers and management.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
- Must be able to prioritize departmental functions in order to meet due dates and deadlines.