Dallas-based, privately held commercial real estate development and investment management company with exceptional performance specializing in value-add and opportunistic real estate investments. With an entrepreneurial spirit and proven 25-year track record across several market cycles they have steadily built up a portfolio of 10 million square feet of industrial and office properties and 3,000 multifamily units located nationally.
The Director of Property Management will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction for the Property Management business unit. This includes setting overall financial and operational goals and reporting on progress, variances and issues to company executives as well as directing, supervising and monitoring the activities of the in-house commercial property management portfolio staff on a day-to-day basis. This position reports to the Senior Director of Asset Management.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES
The activities listed here are not all-inclusive; rather, they indicate the types of activities normally performed by this position. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate core competencies in the following areas:
- Responsible for team leadership of full Property Management team (10+ associates). Team will consist of associates both at corporate headquarters in Dallas as well as property locations in cities such as Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, and Milwaukee.
- Ensures documentation and adherence to Property Management policies and procedures as well as develop and process improvements for efficiency and profitability.
- Coordinates with executive team on staffing needs, personnel issues, salary and compensation administration, overhead expenditures, promotions, mentoring, training and development initiatives, etc. Prepares and delivers performance appraisal for staff.
- Enhances controls program to ensure financial accuracy, and protection of company, owner assets and resources.
- Tours and inspects properties regularly; gaining market knowledge; coordinating competitive surveys and management business strategies for company and owners.
- Reviews preventative maintenance programs, tenant retention programs and emergency preparedness programs for portfolio.
- Recommends and/or approves alterations, maintenance and reconditioning as necessary. Contracts for and supervises vendor services as required.
- Resolves critical impact tenant relations issues; responds to tenant needs, ensuring that administrative and building technical staff resolve problems promptly. Ensures that services are provided in compliance with policies, procedures, regulations and contractual obligations and standards.
- Coordinates leasing activities to ensure compliance with leases, budgetary goals, management agreement and regulations; supervising the processing of leases.
- Reviews and approves annual budgets for the property management portfolio; review and recommend capital expenditures; ensure timely and accurate compliance with approved budgets
- Reviews and approves property financial and property reporting, ensuring deadlines are met in an accurate and timely way.
- At owner's discretion, markets and leases the property, qualifying and showing space to prospective tenants, and negotiating new leases and lease renewals. Coordinates tenant move-ins and move-outs, and walk-through spaces with tenants. Oversee tenant improvement and “make-ready” projects.
- Ensures that objectives are being met. Prepares and delivers timely, accurate and complete reports.
- Collects rent and pays expenses in compliance with lease terms. Prepares all required legal notices. Recommends and coordinates legal action as necessary.
- Reviews and reconciles tenant rent and Common Area Maintenance (CAM) recovery charges.
- Supports all property sales and acquisitions by participating in the due diligence process.
- Oversees and takes key ownership of real estate tax appeals.
- Manages risk assessment and oversees insurance compliance of tenants.
- Ensures HVAC maintenance/compliance of tenants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university and a minimum of ten years of related experience and/or training.
CERTIFICATES and/or LICENSES
CPM or RPA professional designation or candidacy preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational and analytical skills.
Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers.
Ability to effectively present information.
Ability to respond effectively to sensitive issues.
Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
Ability to solve problems involving several options in situations.
Requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
OTHER SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite
Familiarity with MRI highly desired
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Decisions made with thorough understanding of procedures, company policies, and business practices to achieve general results and deadlines. Responsible for setting work unit and/or project deadlines. Errors in judgment may cause short-term impact to department.