Role Value Proposition:
MetLife Investments is a premier asset manager with breadth across various asset sectors and global markets, and strong asset-liability management capabilities. With a $500 billion combined domestic and international general account portfolio and a multi-billion dollar annual cash flow, Investments is an important contributor to MetLife’s financial performance. The primary objective of Investments is to maximize MetLife’s long-term economic value by investing in assets that support the company’s liabilities and produce a consistent stream of operating earnings.
Global Real Estate and Agricultural Investments maintain a portfolio invested in commercial real estate and agricultural mortgages, as well as real estate equities. Real Estate Investments sources and manages commercial real estate investments through seven regional field offices in the U.S. and International field offices in London, Tokyo, Mexico City and Santiago. The Debt Associate will support a local team of real estate professionals originating, closing, and managing commercial real estate loan investments on behalf of MetLife’s General Account portfolio and Investment Management and debt fund clients. Participate in the evaluation, analysis, underwriting, negotiation and closing of new debt transactions and the servicing of the existing loan portfolio.
- Support origination, underwriting, negotiating, closing and management of commercial real estate loan portfolio.
- Develop and maintain external relationships with key market participants, such as mortgage bankers, developers, operators and investors.
- Assist with underwriting potential new commercial real estate loan investments, including evaluating the collateral, sponsorship, and structure.
- Assist in the preparation of transaction memoranda and the presentation to investment committees for approval.
- Participate in the closing process for new transactions which may include completing all due diligence, and coordinate with loan asset managers, production analysts, attorneys, architects, appraisers and other third-party service providers.
- Support the efforts in the management and administration of commercial real estate loan investments in the portfolio, including annual mortgage ratings/surveillance, collateral valuations, property inspections, lease approvals, and loan assumptions and modifications.
- Develop a strong understanding of real estate market trends (leasing, investment sales, etc.) in the various sub markets pursued.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Results-driven professional with 5+ years of experience in commercial real estate investment, including commercial real estate loan origination.
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable business-related field; MBA preferred.
- Basic understanding of complex capital structures and the risks associated with different positions in a complex capital stack.
- Established real estate analytical skills including property valuation, market analysis, lease analysis and mortgage analytics.
- Strong quantitative and computer skills including proficiency with Argus Enterprise, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and the ability to quickly master proprietary internal systems and familiarity with the leading commercial real estate market data resources (i.e.-CoStar, CBRE Econometric Advisors, Real Capital Analytics, etc.).
- Team oriented with strong work ethic and time management skills.
- Preference given to candidates who have relevant experience (knowledge of Argus Enterprise, Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and familiarity with the leading commercial real estate market data resources (i.e.-CoStar, CBRE Econometric Advisors, Real Capital Analytics, etc.).Team oriented with strong work ethic and time management skills.