DIRECTOR, DEBT ORIGINATIONS
TH Real Estate, an operating division of Nuveen, the asset management arm of TIAA, is one of the largest real estate investment managers in the world with nearly $100 billion in AUM. Managing a suite of nearly 80 funds and mandates spanning both debt and equity across diverse geographies, sectors, investment styles and vehicle types, we provide access to every aspect of real estate investing. With offices in 20 cities throughout the US, Europe and Asia-Pacific, over 500 professionals and 60 years of investing experience, the platform offers impressive local expertise coupled with a sophisticated global perspective.
Our investment, asset management and corporate strategies grow from a deep understanding of the structural trends that we believe will shape the future of real estate and responsible investing beyond market cycles. This “Tomorrow’s World” approach sits at the core of our investment process and business operations, informing our long-term view of real estate investments for the enduring benefit of both clients and society.
TH Real Estate is seeking an analytically strong individual with a solid commercial mortgage lending and Finance background, including experience in originating senior fixed rate permanent and floating rate bridge loans as well as subordinate debt (mezzanine/B-Notes) on both stabilized and transitional/value-add assets. The company seeks a candidate who is eager to pursue an opportunity to progress in the Real Estate Finance team. The right individual must have a strong command of real estate financial analysis, including Argus cash flow modeling and an understanding of capital markets, as well as solid critical thinking and communications skills to be successful. The position provides an opportunity to work in a high profile, dynamic and creative environment in an institution with a long history of commercial real estate investing.
- The Director will perform financial analysis and transaction underwriting for new investment opportunities and originate loans primarily in a specified geographic region, but may also be asked to assist in transactions in other regions as deemed necessary.
- Provide analysis for new investments, including discounted cash flows, financial and credit analyses of properties, locations, markets, borrowers and other due diligence. Manage, monitor, and analyze investment opportunities/activities/assets. Act independently within established investment policy guidelines on moderately complex transactions.
- Act fairly independently on guidelines, developed workload strategies in response to market conditions.
- Manage business relationships with borrowers and other direct deal sources, including other market participants with whom TIAA might participate in various “club-deal”, co-lending, and senior/subordinate structures (life companies, commercial banks, investment banks, and major “non-bank” lenders such as private debt funds), the broker community and knowledge-based relationships to advance network or business and information sources. The candidate should have existing relationships across the industry.
- The Director may supervise analyst and associate support.
- Present transactions or holdings for review and approval to appropriate oversight committee.
- Generate documentation including credit committee presentations, loan applications, commitments and other associated documents.
- Actively lead the negotiation of transaction documentation for transactions.
- Coordinate investment process with Portfolio Management and other functional areas within the Company.
- Monitor investment performance and makes portfolio recommendations; ensure that recommendations are timely and well developed and in keeping with insurance law requirements.
- Travel is required.
- BA degree in Finance, Real Estate or Economics
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in commercial mortgage lending or related experience
- Experience analyzing, sourcing and originating a variety of fixed and floating rate debt investments throughout the capital stack as described herein
- Proficient in Argus and Excel
- Sufficient industry contacts among the borrower, brokerage, and lending community
- MBA or CFA
- Experience in structured finance (subordinate debt (mezzanine and B-notes); senior/sub executions including experience in originating and leveraging through selling A-notes, and bank balance sheet lending (including construction lending)
- Strong financials/quantitative and critical thinking skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter who is willing to work independently
- Well organized and able to balance multiple and diverse priorities while delivering quality product
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.