Project Manager – NT Solar
Organization: National Trust Community Investment Corporation (NTCIC) enables tax credit equity investments that support sustainable communities nationwide. This position supports National Trust Solar Inc, a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTCIC. NTCIC places qualified federal and state historic tax credits (HTC), new markets tax credits (NMTC), solar tax credits (ITC) and low-income housing tax credits (LIHTC).
Date Prepared: October 2017
Job Title: Project Manager
Job Location: Washington, DC Office
Supervisor’s Title: Vice-President and Manager, Renewable Energy
OT Status: Exempt
Review and analyze complex legal, financial and engineering documents as part of an overall investment analysis. Communicate findings in writing and orally to both internal and external audiences. Manage external counsel, accountants and engineers in closing a financial transaction.
The position will work with the Vice-President of the Solar program, other solar team members and external consultants to collect and review data from financial modeling, financial reports, engineering reports and project legal contracts. The position will prepare diligence reports for investment committee and investor consideration, and manage the closing process for approved deals.
These tax credit investments may include debt and equity investments in ground or roof mount solar installations with off-take to utilities, municipal entities, low-income housing authorities, and commercial and/or residential end-users.
- Identify key underwriting risks and provide solutions/mitigations
- Perform detailed off-taker and guarantor analyses.
- Collect all due diligence consistent with closing checklist.
- Review and critique project engineering studies and value appraisals.
- Review and analyze developer projections. Make adjustments consistent with NT Solar, accounting firm and outside investor underwriting and credit policy.
- Review critical project documents, including off-take contracts, incentive purchase contracts and land leases.
- Prepare and present reports for internal NTCIC Investment Committee and external investor approval.
- Serve as liaison between outside investor and developer transaction team.
- Provide solutions-oriented focus with the ability to take initiative and think independently.
- Work with and manage outside counsel to close transactions, control expenses, and lead/participate in weekly closing calls.
- Identify investment or reputational risks as the deal progresses. Confidently suggest changes to the deal that would mitigate these risks.
- Perform duties on multiple transactions at any given time with a strong commitment towards meeting deadlines
- Keep Vice-President and other senior management apprised of closing timeline, delays, and risks.
- Provide a transition memo to asset management once the deal closes.
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in environmental studies, engineering or finance (or equivalent work experience). Preference for a master’s degree in business, finance (or equivalent).
- At least 5 years of investment analysis/underwriting experience.
- Knowledge of solar incentive programs, including state-based renewable energy credits and related trading, community solar programs, net metering credits and tax credit ownership structure.
- Strong financial analysis and spreadsheet (Excel) skills required. Examples to be provided upon request.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required. Writing samples to be provided upon request.
- Experience in renewable energy development, renewable tax credit investing, tax credit syndication and/or community development finance.
- Experience in legal, tax and accounting aspects of tax credit projects preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting.
- Occasional travel required and ability to manage multiple projects with various deadlines.
$100,000 to $150,000 commensurate with experience
The National Trust Community Investment Corp. is an equal opportunity organization and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability. The National Trust Community Investment Corp. actively seeks opportunities to include members of these groups in its programs and activities.