Position Summary: The Construction Manager executes & administers construction & renovation projects associated with the acquisitions & existing apartment portfolio of Harbor Group apartment communities. This includes ensuring all daily construction related issues are being addressed, ensuring smooth transitions between vendors, contractors & sub-contractors.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage, coordinate, and inspect contractor work during projects; contribute feedback that will make work safer, cheaper, cleaner, lower impact or any other way improve the operational success of the projects
- Regularly conduct construction meetings, prepare & distribute meeting minutes, track change order requests, track problem issues and react to feedback from Property Management personnel
- Maintain project management logs (RFIs, changes, submittals, construction documents, FF&E, close-out)
- Prepare and produce updated reports to various interested parties concerning the construction project goals, progress, schedules, budgeting, etc.
- Prepare, control and monitor project budgets & schedules
- Develop scopes of work & job specifications
- Execute pricing exercises, generate take-offs and quantities for work, develop detailed estimates for small & large projects, administer individual / special projects, and interact and communicate with organizational stakeholders (Investment Managers, Acquisition Managers, Directors of Operation, Community Managers, Service Managers, Architects, Design staff, Accounting Staff)
- Contract Administration – Process contractor pay applications, evaluate and process change orders, analyze and maintain tracking sheets and records, perform inspection walks with bank inspectors, inspect and approve work in place, document stored materials and monitor punch/warranty work
- Perform various due diligence inspections – assess property conditions, estimate repair and construction costs, mark-up site plans with work locations, create DD reports and projected budgets, assess landscape and drainage conditions, take and publish photos of work examples and produce written summaries of overall property attributes
- Compile applications and documentation necessary to apply for rebates; work with third-party testers, processors and utility personnel; track rebate totals; and evaluate for future projects.
- All other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Familiar with the procurement of construction services, including scope of work & job specification development, contract award & buy-out, authoring of RFI’s, AIA industry-standard documents and exhibits and ability to produce contract documents
- Knowledge of accepted buildings practices, materials and techniques, knowledge of common and general code requirements, ADA requirements, mechanical systems and components, permitting processes and requirements, market pricing and lien waivers
- Ability to organize & manage multiple projects at different stages of renovation/construction
- Understanding of legal contracts, AIA documents and other related construction draw forms.
- Excellent communication & conflict resolution skills; ability to communicate with all levels of Harbor Group associates, outside contractor, vendors, and building department personnel
- Understanding of the due diligence process and associated deliverables
- Ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, & Outlook to create & maintain spreadsheets, track project scheduling & communication programs, and to administer project details & reports
- Excellent analytical, costing and decision making skills
- Experience working with regional & national vendors, suppliers, contractors, subcontractors & resources in the multifamily redevelopment industry
- Ability to travel up to 40%
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in construction management, construction/building science, engineering, business management or architecture and design preferred; Minimum 5 years of Multifamily construction experience; and experience in the construction field in new construction, renovation and rehab, and development, preferably in the multifamily or hotel construction/renovation sector.