Reports to: Vice President of Construction
Location: San Juan Capistrano or remote/home office in California
Standard Communities (SC) is a full-service, multifamily real estate investment and management firm. Based in Los Angeles, with offices in New York and Washington, DC, SC currently invests in multifamily real estate in primary U.S. markets across five major geographic locations: New York, San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, Chicago and Washington, DC metro area.
SC was founded in 2008. Their current portfolio is over 7,500 residential units, 3,500 of which are affordable. Since 2010, SC has completed more than $750mm of property and distressed loan acquisitions, including 13 separate LIHTC transactions, consisting of nearly 3,500 units, raising approximately $350mm in debt and $200mm in LIHTC equity. Their 20-person team includes construction, asset management, underwriting and back office professionals.
SC’s success comes from their opportunistic approach, their aggressive but calculated approach to risk, their creative and nimble underwriting, and their ability to execute deals quickly. The culture of the company is entrepreneurial and fast-moving. Team members are given autonomy and high expectations, but provided with the support and resources to be successful in their roles.
Reporting to the Vice President of Construction, the West Coast Construction Manager will provide leadership and direction on all redevelopment, CapEx and construction projects, from minor renovations to major rehabs on market rate and affordable multifamily properties throughout California and other Western markets. Functioning as an owner’s representative, he/she will develop, oversee and manage all construction related tasks, plans, budgets, schedules and activities from inception to completion. Most projects will be completed while properties are occupied. In addition, the West Coast Construction Manager will provide support to asset management and acquisition teams in the identification, analysis and execution of deferred maintenance, code deficiencies, and all capital expenditures. Key to this person’s responsibilities will be identifying, assessing, negotiating, and managing relationships with all third party contractors and vendors on each project.
The Construction Manager will travel throughout the Western United States for the purposes of quality control, job site inspections, draw reviews, city meetings and due diligence inspections. Most travel will be day trips within California.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the design development process from due diligence through permit issuance.
- Source, engage and manage all architects, engineers, vendors, contractors in all regions as required.
- Integrate all stakeholders’ requirements into project scope while balancing budget.
- Assess due diligence findings from specialty consultants.
- Develop appropriate project scope/budget/schedule logistics plan (occupied rehab).
- Take ownership of all facets of the construction process from due diligence through project completion.
- Identify/qualify deferred maintenance, building deficiencies and CapEx improvements based on his/her own and vendor’s site assessment(s).
- Provide analysis, budgets/schedules/scopes and proposed solutions to solve building deficiencies and regulatory requirements.
- Read, analyze and understand property condition reports, construction plans, building department corrections, project specifications.
- Prepare and monitor construction budgets/contracts/schedules for large scale renovations/CapEx projects.
- Provide concise updates to VP of Construction with pertinent dates and budget variances.
- Plan review, obtain permitting approvals from local jurisdictions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; emphasis on engineering, architecture or construction management.
- At least seven years of experience in real estate, focused on construction, architecture, engineering, asset management, or related discipline. Hands-on construction experience preferred.
- Must be experienced with occupied apartment renovation/rehab projects, including critical path scheduling.
Skills and Abilities
- ‘Making the call’: Strong problem solving, investigating, and critical judgment skills for all proposed scopes of work.
- Ability to understand and evaluate how capital projects impact the overall performance and operations of a given property over the long term.
- Able to think like an owner.
- Able to read, understand and value engineer construction documents/contractor scopes of work.
- Able to vet contractor proposals/scopes of work (including but not limited to: waterproofing, roofing, painting, flooring, fire/life safety, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, façade, elevator).
- Experience overseeing the work of third party professionals.
- Knowledge of regulatory (building/planning/development) requirements.
- Knowledge of tools, materials, means and methods used in occupied renovation projects on multifamily residential properties.
- Preconstruction estimating experience using RS Means or equivalent.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Word is required.
- Highly accountable: able to take ownership, meet deadlines, follow-through.
- Highly motivated self-starter and independent worker.
- Ability to manage ‘up’ and provide Senior Management with salient progress reporting.
- Proven ability to excel in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Acknowledges and learns from mistakes and challenges.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Able to work collaboratively in a small team environment; can “roll up his/her sleeves” and pitch in where necessary in a lean organization.
- High integrity.
- Sense of humor.
Standard Communities offers a competitive compensation and benefit package, including a generous incentive bonus based on performance of completed projects.