VP or Senior VP that is responsible for fundraising, including cultivating relationships, development of marketing collateral and due diligence materials, and managing the fundraising process for multiple real estate private equity, open-ended and securities funds. The role also includes client service and investor reporting responsibilities.
Founded in 1994 and headquartered in Chicago, GEM Realty Capital (“GEM”) is an integrated real estate investment firm. GEM invests in private-market real estate assets through GEM Realty Properties (GRP) and in publicly traded real estate securities through GEM Realty Securities (GRS). GEM’s investors include pension plans, endowments, foundations, financial institutions and private clients. In total, GEM has over $4.5 billion in assets under management.
Over the past 22 years, GRP has completed over 140 private real estate transactions in a variety of property sectors and geographic markets with a total investment cost of almost $7 billion. Since 1994, GEM has made opportunistic and value-added real estate investments through a series of private equity funds. In December 2015, GEM formed GEM Realty Evergreen, L.P. (Evergreen), a perpetual life fund to make long-term investments in real estate properties. Since 1998, GEM has invested in publicly traded equity and debt securities of real estate related companies, including REITs, homebuilders and real estate operating companies, through GEM Realty Securities, a long-short hedge fund strategy.
GEM’s private/public investment platform provides synergies that enhance the investment process. The GRP and GRS investment teams share perspective, relationships and knowledge, contributing significantly to the investment process of each business line.
Perspective – the firm’s private/public platform provides GEM with in-depth perspective on capital flows, valuation, dislocations, and opportunities that drive both private and public real estate markets. GEM uses this broad perspective to drive top-down strategy that considers all property types and parts of the capital structure to capitalize on dislocations and trends before the market prices out excess profit.
Relationships – the firm identifies investments through its extensive network of real estate industry relationships, which is enhanced by its private/public platform. GEM’s reputation and deep relationships provide market intelligence, strategic partnerships and access to investment opportunities.
Information – GEM employs a disciplined investment process rooted in private/public market knowledge to underwrite investments and assess risk and opportunity. The experiences of GEM’s investment professionals are grounded in the fundamentals of real estate investment, debt restructuring and asset management. GEM believes that the private/public market knowledge and tenure of its team enhances the firm’s ability to identify and evaluate investment opportunities.
GEM believes its 22-year track record of consistent returns throughout multiple economic and real estate cycles is attributable to the following principles that characterize GEM’s investment philosophy:
♦ Conservative Underwriting
♦ Prudent Leverage
♦ Active Portfolio Management
♦ Private/Public Perspective
♦ Alignment of Interests
The Key Responsibilities:
- Build and represent the GEM “brand”; differentiate and position GEM and its funds from other firms seeking capital
- Manage and broaden GEM’s industry contacts to strengthen the firm’s network and relationships
- Identify, expand and deepen relationships with public and corporate pension plans, endowments & foundations, insurance and healthcare companies, consultants and family offices, etc. to build awareness of the firm’s investment vehicles / track record and foster new investor relationships
- Understand the investment objectives and priorities of potential investors; be familiar with direct and indirect influences on individual and institutional investment decisions; know and articulate the strategies, objectives, and performance of GEM’s various real estate funds
- Produce marketing materials and standard due diligence questionnaires (DDQs), as well as respond to RFPs
- Work in close collaboration with senior professionals at GEM across Investments and Operations to ensure the firm’s best resources are introduced to potential investors, as well as involved in producing due diligence materials and fulfilling investor requests
- Obtain capital commitments and drive investor relations and business development objectives to ensure successful execution across GEM’s business lines and products; traverse from one investment product to the next, as the client indicates or requires
- As new funds launch, actively engage and participate in the entire marketing/fundraising effort and have input into maximizing the prospects of such funds; including managing fundraising pipeline, scheduling meetings, handling investor follow-up and due diligence requests, and closing
- · Liaise with internal and external legal counsel and fund administration to ensure compliance with SEC requirements
- Initiate, build, and maintain strong relationships with existing investors
- Work collaboratively with the Investment and Operations teams for both GRP and GRS to prepare quarterly investor reports and letters and respond to investor inquiries in a timely fashion
- Oversee delivery of investor reporting/correspondence and respond to additional client reporting requests
What About You?
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Relevant real estate investment and investor relations experience, with a strong understanding of real estate, investments, and fund management business
- A proven track record of building and maintaining relationships, with a presence and perspective that will encourage confidence among the investors
- Strong product knowledge, economic perspective and the communications skills necessary to articulate the GEM platform with credibility to potential investors and stakeholders
- Possess poise, gravitas, skills and competencies to suggest that one would be able to raise capital and interface with investors
- Through school, social, and professional networks and professional career, be well-known, visible, and highly respected in the investor community, with a history of achievement throughout real estate career
- Effective multi-tasker with strong organizational skills; ability to raise capital for multiple products at any given time
- Strong attention to detail and process oriented
- Nimble thinker with a strong analytical aptitude and business acumen; flexible and able to deal with ambiguity and rejection
- Possesses a high level of intellectual curiosity and a desire to continuously add to knowledge base
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, resourceful, self-starter; focused on results and demonstrates hustle and drive
- Team-oriented and collaborative; able to navigate and work in conjunction with others in a matrix organization
- Extroverted; significant presence and excellent interpersonal skills, both internally within GEM and externally with clients and the broader market
- Highest level of integrity and professionalism
- Available for frequent overnight travel
Strong academic performance and achievement. Undergraduate degree required. M.B.A. preferred, but not necessary.
EOE. No calls, please. For full consideration of your application, along with resume, please provide a cover letter, with compensation expectations.