Role Value Proposition:
The Associate Director – Investment Ratings and Credit Management is a part of the Ratings and Credit team within Risk, Research & Analytics. This position plays a key role in assessing the credit of proposed and existing investments through the evaluation of collateral values, loan terms and market conditions and it assigns internal bond-equivalent ratings. The position also assesses relative value across commercial and agricultural mortgages for external and internal clients and it helps to develop new investment products. The position is responsible for measuring credit risk exposures at the portfolio level.
- Develop internal credit ratings for proposed and existing commercial mortgages, including senior, subordinate and below investment grade debt.
- Work closely with regional offices and loan managers to ensure appropriate understanding of assets necessary to accurately assign credit ratings and review collateral valuations.
- Use “best in class” ratings process and techniques for commercial mortgages, including the use of sophisticated commercial mortgage credit models.
- Support the Director of Investment Ratings in assessing ratings and valuations (rating migration, portfolio rating stratification, portfolio valuation trends, underwriting trends / cap rate trends, etc.).
- Train and direct other Associates
- Support MetLife real estate portfolio credit management efforts through development of best in class tools, processes and policies.
- Assess credit quality of markets and portfolio segments, such as retail malls and suburban office properties.
- Ensure compliance with written credit management policies and procedures for MetLife and clients.
- Engage with internal clients on key portfolio assessment initiatives, including setting and ensuring compliance with concentration limits, assessment and management of Risk Based Capital, Economic Capital, Embedded Value and other key measures.
- Partner with Research team to produce white papers and articles for industry publications on real estate investment returns and assessment of relative value and credit-adjusted spreads.
- Actively participate in industry real estate organizations and events, establishing and maintaining MetLife’s standing as a leader in real estate portfolio management.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Experience in real estate credit and risk assessment
- Experience in application of commercial real estate equity and/or commercial mortgage portfolio analysis tools and techniques in a rating agency, bank, insurance company, or other lending institution.
- Knowledge of Moody’s CMM, CoStar’s Compass or similar commercial mortgage default models preferred.
- Experience working with regulators (state or federal), rating agencies and auditors preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience in Commercial Real Estate credit, underwriting or portfolio analytics or equivalent experience required.
- Experience with Argus, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Advanced analytical abilities and excellent communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance or related fields required.
- Experience managing a portfolio
- Experience with database and business process development preferred
Less than 5%