The Scion Group seeks an Asset Analyst to join our corporate team in Chicago, IL.
Founded in 1999, Scion focuses exclusively on ownership, operation and advisory services for student housing, both on and off campus. We have participated in the acquisition or development of over 60,000 beds and advised colleges and universities, foundations and private-sector providers in more than 180 campus markets, representing over $5.0 billion of project value.
Today, Scion owns and operates over 48,000 beds at 69 communities, serving 47 major university campus markets across 21 states. Among the most active participants in the sector, we have acquired or recapitalized more than $3 billion of purpose-built student housing in the past two years. Our managed portfolio includes over 2,600 beds of on‑campus and university-affiliated projects, through public-private partnerships and joint ventures.
Financial Performance Analysis / Value Creation:
- Provide analytical support in determining the feasibility of potential promotions and rate changes including impact on rate growth, NOI performance, ROI of specific initiatives, budget reforecasts, etc.
- Track and report to senior management on asset leasing performance
- Consistently monitor all incentives programs to drive optimal revenue growth
- Review and reforecast annual operating budgets
- Review monthly financial performance reports with property staff and assist in the completion of monthly cash flow reports for all managed properties in order to drive improved cash flows and more accurate budgets
- Identify anomalies and variances and propose resolutions
- Aggregate and analyze portfolio-wide data across operations, capital and investor reporting departments – develop internal and external benchmarks
- Provide analytical support and guidance in determining the feasibility, financial impact and ROI of specific capital projects and budget variance requests
- Assist with the transition of newly acquired properties into portfolio financial management
- Create and utilize financial models to evaluate new retail leases; including NPV, IRR, Payback Period, and tenant credit analysis
- Build operating and capital budgets
- For new acquisitions, review and incorporate information into property budgets as applicable from acquisition records such as property appraisals, environmental site assessments, closing documents, and tax assessments
- For same-store assets, build operating and capital budgets with detailed analysis of historical performance, also incorporating comparisons to industry performance benchmarks
- Audit financial records, agreements and contracts and incorporate results into operating and capital budgets
- Development of financial models, financial statements analysis, valuation analysis and market or industry specific research analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, STEM, real estate, finance or economics
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with an ability to convey complex datasets and information to internal management and external partners
- Data driven with a natural ability to problem solve and create solutions
- Advanced financial modeling skills including extremely strong Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills (proficiency with VBA preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with commercial real estate fundamentals and investment principles is a plus
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial work environment and be self-motivated
- Excellent written and oral communications
As an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, The Scion Group LLC provides job opportunities to qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, familial or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws. All candidates for employment must successfully complete pre-employment drug testing and background verification before employment is finalized.