Director, Asset Management - Job Description
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Hours: Full Time
Years of Experience: 7-15
Education: Bachelor's Degree (minimum)
Travel: Yes (average of 7 days per month)
Los Angeles-based real estate finance company, Thorofare Capital Inc., is seeking a highly motivated Director of Asset Management to add to its growing team of professionals. The position will report directly to the Chief Investment Officer. The ideal candidate is a career oriented team-player with a positive attitude, possessing excellent attention to detail and the ability to communicate clearly. Candidates should have strong analytical skills and be an expert in auditing property level financial statements to identify trends. The position requires experience with both managing a portfolio of commercial real estate loans and overseeing the foreclosure process from the initial default of a loan to the eventual disposition of the asset.
Thorofare is an alternative investment platform focused on originating, funding and servicing short-term commercial debt and select equity investments, ranging between $3MM to $30MM in size. The firm also has a deep track record of financing the acquisition of performing and non-performing senior loans (NPL’s) and loan portfolios. Thorofare manages a series of private equity funds organized as investment partnerships, which are capitalized primarily by wealthy families and institutional investors. Though its two different lending programs, fixed-rate and floating-rate bridge loans, Thorofare provides short-term real estate financing nationwide to qualified borrowers with a focus on transitional assets in need of recapitalization financing, re-positioning, capital improvements and lease-up of vacant space.
Since its inception in 2010, Thorofare has successfully originated, closed and asset managed over $1.2 billion in commercial real estate loans. Thorofare is an entrepreneurial organization and strongly believes in a culture of promotion from within and encourages candidates who are serious about developing their professional careers to apply.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for monitoring and tracking a portfolio of commercial real estate loans.
- Act as primary point of contact while managing loans in special servicing (which include both defaulted loans and oversight of the foreclosure process to the eventual disposition of the asset).
- Obtain and review periodic financial statements, rent rolls and other reports from borrowers and property managers.
- Monitor and track property specific loan covenants such as impound draws and disbursements, mandatory pay downs, collateral requirements, credit analysis, etc.
- Oversee the disbursement of reserve funds to third parties and prepare disbursement packages for approval by the Chief Investment Officer.
- Obtain and review updated property condition reports from construction project monitoring firms.
- Prepare variance analysis at the property level.
- Assist with the implementation of asset management software.
- Develop and distribute periodic (quarterly/annual) and ad hoc reports to management.
- Provide input and assist in the due diligence process, including review of financial and operational assumptions, to support the effort of the origination and underwriting teams.
- Model full life cycle financial analysis for each asset from acquisition through disposition.
- Manage and coordinate post-funding activities and the onboarding of each loan.
- Oversee reporting of portfolio performance, including tracking property performance to business plan, compliance with loan documents, collateral exceptions, etc.
- Monitor and ensure property tax and insurance requirement compliance.
- Periodic travel to properties on an as needed basis to inspect assets. Travel is expected to be less than one week a month.
- Stay informed of financial and market trends that could affect the portfolio.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics or related field with a history of excellent academic performance.
- 7-15 years of real estate debt or equity asset management experience.
- Possess experience with and knowledge of commercial real estate investments, compliance and analytics.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to prepare and present accurate and timely reports to management.
- Ability to think quickly, work effectively and manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Positive, upbeat, can-do attitude.
- Possess strong writing, editing, and correspondence skills; ability to write clearly, concisely, and achieve the right tone with clients, prospective clients and business partners.
- Possess strong oral communication skills, both in-person and on the phone.
- Possess strong organization skills and be extremely detail-oriented; be able to track and manage complex processes with numerous stakeholders; ability to develop or enhance new processes when necessary.
- Enjoy and work well in a team environment
- Be a self-starter and capable of managing your own time effectively.
- Be able to handle a breadth of responsibilities, while maintaining accuracy and a detail-oriented focus.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
Employment at Thorofare Capital, Inc., its subsidiaries, or strategic business partners is employment At-Will. Thorofare Capital, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, disability or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.