Vice President, Real Estate
Oakbrook, IL or Bloomington, MN
Rasmussen College is an institution of higher learning dedicated to global enrichment and meeting the evolving needs of our diverse communities. With an emphasis on innovative programs, dynamic curriculum and general education skills.
Being a pioneer in the field of career-focused education is not just about innovative programs. It also takes people – people like you – and today, our team of more than 2000 employees is helping build a College where the best people want to work. If you’re looking for an experience where your actions will make a positive difference every day, you’ve come to the right place.
The Vice President of Real Estate is responsible for the strategic growth and expansion of campus real estate. In addition, this role is responsible for portfolio management of Rasmussen College’s real estate holdings, including leading strategic planning activities and managing of internal and external real estate stakeholders.
The Vice President of Real Estate is accountable to the CEO and is primarily responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the organization’s real estate activities. The Vice President of Real Estate provides the leadership, technical know-how, and administration required for successful real estate development and facilities management for Rasmussen College.
Expansion of campus markets will increase significantly in the near future. We are seeking an individual capable of maintaining and strategically building the real estate portfolio for the College. Current portfolio is estimated to include 575,000 sq.ft (23 campus locations and 3 central offices in Minneapolis, MN, Oakbrook, IL and Orlando, FL).
The Vice President of Real Estate manages all aspects of real estate activities within the portfolio and is responsible for:
- Maximizing the value of Rasmussen College’s operating real estate assets
- Optimizing the real estate portfolio operating expenses and capital expenditure
- Controlling operational and reputational risk resulting from Rasmussen College’s real estate operations
- Delivering and maintaining safe, effective and efficient campus locations
- Implementing business and corporate strategies as they relate to real estate operations
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions of the position includes, but are not limited to the following duties consistent with the VP of Real Estate function:
- Lead the creation, implementation and on-going administration of Rasmussen College’s real estate portfolio, including asset management, development, and leasing.
- Responsible for real estate activities including land/building acquisition, leasing and site location in support of the organization’s goals.
- Works closely with management, finance, local government agencies, contractors and vendors to ensure projects are completed in a timely manner and meet established standards.
- Responsible for developing specifications, reviewing and negotiating terms, contracting with vendors, ensuring project closeout, invoice payment as required by current and future real estate projects.
- Act as owner’s representative on all construction projects (new construction, additions, remodeling/upgrades, etc.) and advise on real estate development opportunities from a construction/site or leasing perspective.
- Effectively manage sensitive relationships with property management/landlords and government officials, while protecting the interests of the organization; manage all leases to ensure compliance by organization and landlords. Makes recommendations on properties as leases expire.
- Provide leadership approach to real estate decision-making by developing and ensuring appropriate policies/procedures and guidance regarding potential real estate opportunities.
- Drive results with a sensitivity to meeting tight timelines, cost objectives and business priorities
- Contribute to analysis and reporting, presentations and other deliverables required for Audit and other regulatory filings
- BA from an accredited college or university required; MA or MS in relevant field (or equivalent experience) preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years’ experience in real estate development, construction management, architecture, or similar role preferred.
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience and an overall understanding of the principles of real estate development including leasing, design, finance, legal, construction, and operations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- A customer-focused attitude and track record of delivering high levels of quality service.
- Ability to operate independently while establishing strong working relationships with co-workers and cross-functional and matrixed teams.
- Proactive, adaptable, well-organized, details/results-oriented, with the ability to lead and participate in multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience developing, analyzing, and managing budgets and capital improvement projects.
- Track record of integrity and sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a project team with proven project management and organization skills.
- Ability to assess and recognize quality and quickly recognize problems.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to be a constant learner and quickly learn new roles and responsibilities.
Rasmussen College is a regionally accredited private college that is dedicated to changing lives and the communities it serves through high-demand and flexible educational programs. Since 1900, the College has been committed to academic innovation and providing the highest standard of education while empowering students to pursue a college degree. Rasmussen College offers certificate and diploma programs through associates, bachelors and master’s degree programs online and across its 22 Midwest and Florida campuses. A pioneer in online education, the College is helping lead advancements in innovations such as competency-based education and comprehensive student support services that help working adults advance their careers. The College is also committed to providing a positive impact on society through public service and a variety of community-based initiatives.
At Rasmussen, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed supporting and encouraging diversity in the workplace. We welcome our employee’s differences regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, gender identity, disability or veteran status.