Reporting to the CEO of the Americas, the Executive Vice President, Member Networks (EVP), will work collaboratively with the CEO and other members of the Americas senior leadership team, as well as with the staff of the district council and product council networks and member leaders to advance transformational change – building culture, developing people, and executing the new Strategic Plan with the ULI networks driving enhanced member development, engagement, and impact.
The Networks EVP will be directly responsible for implementing a newly restructured district council networks model, growing ULI’s product council offerings, enhancing connectivity among the networks, helping integrate and grow member responsive programming among the networks and throughout the broader ULI platform, and supporting diversity and inclusion broadly, and WLI, NEXT, and YLG specifically. The EVP also will work with senior staff to oversee the buildout of the restructured district council networks model, help stand-up and sustain a supporting governance structure, and develop business plans, budgets, and key performance metrics, along with an outcomes measurement capability.
Over the past several years, ULI’s leaders have focused increasingly on delivering the mission and measuring the Institute’s positive impact on its members, and by extension, the communities they serve, both in their professional practices and through the Institute’s mission-rich programs. In this position, the EVP will affirm this direction by helping foster a mission-driven culture that engages members across the organization, establishes clear outcomes and goals, continually measures member impact, and communicates results effectively to ULI members and external audiences alike. The ultimate goal is to enhance the overall member experience, with ULI networks playing a pivotal role in that experience.
- Help lead transformational change thorough best execution of network-based priorities derived from the Strategic Plan, including, (i) implementing a restructured district council networks model, (ii) integrating disparate ULI programs through the networks, including the Advisory Services, TAPS, and UrbanPlan programs, and (iii) establishing processes and a culture within the networks that facilitate robust communication, connectivity, and sharing among the various district councils, product councils, and other centers of activity throughout the organization.
- Materially support diversity and inclusion initiatives throughout the networks, including, but not limited to WLI, NEXT, and YLG.
- Provide overall leadership, strategic direction, and oversight for the member networks, paying particular attention to the product and district councils within a restructured networks framework, and listening to members about what they want and how the networks can better serve their interests.
- Continue to grow product councils, and support the build-out and use by members of technology that enables, enhances, and accelerates the creation, curation, and sharing of content within the networks and throughout the greater ULI.
- Work collaboratively with member and staff leadership to develop a robust leadership pipeline within the ULI membership, identifying and drafting candidates from an increasingly diverse cross-section of the membership, consistent with the goals and objectives of the Strategic Plan.
- Establish key performance metrics, along with the capacity to measure performance as well program outcomes and impact. Foster a culture that establishes clear goals, continually measures impact, and communicates the results effectively to ULI’s members and external audiences.
- Provide clear direction and decisive leadership to the large staff team, recruiting, motivating, developing, leveraging, and retaining high-quality staff.
- Significantly contribute to the business success of the Americas region, including the delivery of operating results consistent with ULI’s annual business plan and budget.
- Work collaboratively with regional and global senior staff, along with Americas member leaders to optimize the networks’ role in executing the priorities of the Americas Strategic Plan. Work effectively with the Americas Networks Committee leaders, other Americas member leaders, and senior staff to effectuate leading governance processes and practices that advance the priorities of the Strategic Plan, including identifying, developing, and integrating new and diverse member leaders for product councils and district councils within a restructured district council framework, advisory services panels, UrbanPlan, and other activities within the Americas program of work through which members deliver the ULI mission. Serve as a resource and share best practices with peers in the EMEA and Asia Pacific regions.
- Ensure effective governance and staff, administrative, and logistics support for district and product councils, the Americas Networks Committee, WLI, NEXT, YLG, and new member leaders within the restructured district council networks.
Year One Expectations
During their first year, the successful candidate will assist the CEO of the Americas in advancing the following goals and objectives:
- Lead and champion transformational change affecting culture, governance, strategy, and the ULI business model within the member networks based on the priorities of the new Strategic Plan. Help formulate a new diversity initiative within the member networks, and lead the selection and development of diverse leadership teams for the restructured district council networks, including staff and member leaders.
- Lead the buildout of enhanced oversight, administrative, budget, and logistical support functions within the member networks, and ensure the effective deployment of additional resources for product councils specifically, and the operations of the restructured district council networks.
- Ensure the effective start-up and ongoing operations of 10 new and expanded product councils and the newly restructured district council networks apparatus, along with leadership succession ladders and development plans.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Vice President, Advisory Services and other senior staff and member leaders to effectively integrate the national advisory services and district council-based TAPs programs within the restructured district council networks.
- Develop key performance metrics for the networks, including metrics assessing the effectiveness of: (i) the start-up and operations of the new product councils and restructured district council networks, (ii) completion and implementation of new strategic plans for WLI, NEXT, and YLG, and (iii) the formulation of a new diversity initiative within the member networks.
- Play a leadership role in the implementation of a new Americas Strategic Plan with a transitional business plan, supporting budget, and staffing and organizational adjustments as required.
- Advance new approaches to developing high-quality content, emphasizing value, member involvement, and leveraging and curating content from the member networks, and ensuring alignment with the ULI Pillars.
- Develop strategies to: advance connectivity among networks, demographic, and affinity groups; enhance accessibility of ULI content; and create more meaningful member engagement opportunities and enhanced member experiences.
- Implement a new networks appointments review and oversight process.
- Support connections between ULI’s efforts to engage and cultivate corporate sponsors at the regional level with the local sponsorship and development efforts of the district councils.
Professional Skills and Qualifications
The successful candidate will be well versed in building strong relationships with leaders, senior executives, colleagues, and members. These relationships are critical to the success of fulfilling ULI America’s strategic plan.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s in Business preferred. Minimum of 15 years of highly relevant senior level management experience in a sophisticated and complex matrix environment with a focus on executive operations management, including strategic planning and follow through, budgeting, P&L, staff management, and spokesperson responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with a wide variety of stakeholders, both internal and external to ULI. Must have experience working across multiple networks and stakeholder groups and a proven ability to build strong relationships with member leaders, senior executives, colleagues, vendors, and partner organizations.
- Candidates should possess polished executive skills including vision, strategic thinking, consensus building, ability to read an audience, decisiveness, and influence.
- Superior leadership, management, budgetary, and interpersonal skills that include team management and mentorship.
- Significant experience successfully managing teams is required.
- Knowledge of ULI’s membership, program of work and content, and Product Council and District/National Council programs helpful.
- Experience within real estate, corporate, consulting or a nonprofit/membership association (501c3) of comparable size and complexity, strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and honed intellectual skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a willingness to share information and the ability to communicate plans and outcomes at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent creative and problem-solving skills that include working in a complex environment with multiple priorities.
- Understanding of nonprofit operations strongly preferred.