Banneker Ventures is an SBA-certified 8(a) SDB and HUBZone small business with annual revenues exceeding $25MM. We have offices in—Maryland and Washington, DC—and specialize in providing value-add construction and facilities management services to federal and local government clients. Our construction expertise incorporates – general contracting, design-build and construction management.
The Estimator reports to the Chief Estimator at Banneker. They are responsible reviewing drawings and specifications and site logistics, developing scope sheets for different trades, reviewing bid estimates and scopes from sub-contractors and comparing them with the bid drawings and specifications, using historic data to compare current bids from sub-contractors and suppliers, coordinating with members of Banneker’s bid-team throughout the bid process, and working with the Chief Estimator to develop a comprehensive bid estimate for jobs in which Banneker is bidding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Bid and Pre-Construction Support:
- Responsible for preparation and assistance with bids and proposals for distinct types of government and commercial construction contracts. Prepare quantity take-offs as well as analyze all items in a scope of work. Attend site visits to verify existing conditions and contract scope to ensure all details are accurate and comprehensive.
- Work with the Chief Estimator to perform constructability analysis to identify concerns and/or risks that lead to errors, cost overruns and delays. Ensure general conditions are properly addressed and make recommendations for alternatives to proposed scopes of work to control costs.
- Identify and vet qualified construction sub-contractors and suppliers. Obtain quotes from construction sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Input bid data accurately using spreadsheets and various approved software systems such as SmartBid, On-Screen Takeoff and ProCore. Maintain historical data for future bids with similar scope items.
- Support the estimating/bid team with preparing detailed estimates by trade. Identify scope gaps and overlaps by thoroughly reviewing the contract and trade scopes of work. Propose to the estimating team any additional costs or savings that should be included in the bid pricing.
Work with Others:
- Act as liaison with sub-contractors, clients and other key parties (i.e., architects, engineers, etc.) to achieve maximum results and exceed Banneker’s standards of customer service. Maintain collaboration tools where appropriate (such as shared file access) for easy sharing with bid team members, subcontractors, etc.
- Train and provide direction to team members assisting or working within the Estimating department.
- Foster relationships with key vendors (subcontractors, architects etc.)
Additional Performance Factors:
- Performs Client Management - gladly provides approved response to requests and inquiries; facilitates a pleasant professional relationship that lays the ground work for additional projects/task orders.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by identifying and participating in training programs.
- Adheres to corporate policies/standards and guidelines as established in cross-functional areas. Responds to requests and submits timesheets, forms and documents in a timely manner.
- Prompt arrival to work, meetings and activities as related to job functions. Deliverables were sent by the deadline and a reasonable response given to each inquiry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management or 3 years of relevant field experience.
- Experience with hard bids, including conceptual and pre-construction budgeting.
- Certified Professional Estimator (CPE) or other qualification is a plus.
- Proven experience as construction estimator.
- Basic understanding of accounting and project management concepts.
- Working knowledge with SmartBid, On-Screen Takeoff, ProCore or other related software.
- Great attention to detail. Excellent communication and negotiation abilities. Well-organized and reliable.
Submit your resume AND list of jobs you've estimated and/or received award!