Banneker Ventures is an SBA-certified 8(a) SDB and HUBZone small business with annual revenues exceeding $25MM. We have offices in—Maryland and Washington, DC—and specialize in providing value-add construction and facilities management services to federal and local government clients. Our construction expertise incorporates – general contracting, design-build and construction management.
The Senior Estimator reports to the Chief Estimator at Banneker. They are responsible reviewing drawings and specifications and site logistics, developing scope sheets for different trades, reviewing bid estimates and scopes from sub-contractors and comparing them with the bid drawings and specifications, using historic data to compare current bids from sub-contractors and suppliers, coordinating with members of Banneker’s bid-team throughout the bid process, and working with the Chief Estimator to develop a comprehensive bid estimate for jobs in which Banneker is bidding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Oversight of Bid and Pre-Construction Activities:
- Coordinate and participate in the preparation of all estimates provided by the Estimating department for distinct types of government and commercial construction contracts. Responsible for managing all estimating functions that include analyzing all items in a scope of work, performing constructability analysis to identify concerns and/or risks that lead to errors, cost overruns and delays. Attends site visits to verify existing conditions and contract scope to ensure all details are accurate and comprehensive.
- Reviews quantity take-offs, analysis, estimates for the assigned scope. Ensures general conditions are properly addressed and takes lead on recommendations for alternatives to proposed scopes of work to control costs. Reviews drawings, specs and other construction documents to advise of any design-related problems and potential risks.
- Identify and vet qualified construction sub-contractors and suppliers. Obtain quotes from construction sub-contractors and suppliers. Enhance professional relationships with preferred subcontractors and suppliers.
- Input bid data accurately, when necessary, using spreadsheets and various approved software systems such as SmartBid, On-Screen Takeoff and ProCore. Maintain historical data for future bids with similar scope items.
- Responsible for detailed estimates by trade and the department’s ability to identify scope gaps and overlaps. Propose to the estimating/bid team any additional costs or savings that should be included in the bid pricing.
- Manages members of the Estimating Department under the direction of the Chief Estimator. May assist with the process of annual evaluations and performance assessments as required and necessary.
- Ensures the department meets deadlines. Deliverables are approved and sent on-time.
- Train and provide direction to team members assisting or working within the Estimating department.
Works with Others:
- Engages with sub-contractors, clients and other key parties (i.e., architects, engineers, etc.) to achieve maximum results and exceed Banneker’s standards of customer service. Maintain collaboration tools where appropriate (such as shared file access) for easy sharing with bid team members, subcontractors, etc.
- Works effectively with other departments to achieve goals, meet deadlines and execute assignments.
Additional Performance Factors:
- Performs Client Management - gladly provides approved response to requests and inquiries; facilitates a pleasant professional relationship that lays the ground work for additional projects/task orders.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by identifying and participating in training programs.
- Adheres to corporate policies/standards and guidelines as established in cross-functional areas. Responds to requests and submits timesheets, forms and documents in a timely manner.
- Prompt arrival to work, meetings and activities as related to job functions. Deliverables were sent by the deadline and a reasonable response given to each inquiry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management or 7 years of relevant field experience with a GC (general contractor).
- Experience with hard bids, including conceptual and pre-construction budgeting.
- Certified Professional Estimator (CPE) or other qualification is a plus.
- Proven experience as construction estimator.
- Understanding of accounting and project management concepts.
- Proficient with SmartBid, On-Screen Takeoff, ProCore or other related software.
- Great attention to detail. Excellent communication and negotiation abilities. Well-organized and reliable.
Send your resume AND a list of jobs you've estimated and/or received award!