About SAHA: Satellite Affordable Housing Associates (SAHA) is a leader in the affordable housing industry and is driven by the fundamental belief that every person deserves a home. We take pride in providing quality affordable homes that empower people and strength neighborhoods. Our philosophy of embracing sustainability, initiative, financial responsibility and diversity makes us one of the preeminent affordable housing development/management providers and employers in the Bay Area. With a staff of over 170, we take pride in offering our employees work/life balance, opportunities for growth and development and an excellent benefit package including several plans with 100% employer paid, employee coverage.
Position Summary: The Senior Project Manager (SPM) is a leadership position within the department and works closely with the Director of Real Estate Development to promote, preserve and develop affordable housing in keeping with SAHA’s mission. The position is responsible for overseeing all stages of affordable housing development for three to four projects at any given time (depending on size, complexity, and development phase of the projects) and ensures that objectives of each project are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters. The SPM may be responsible for overseeing the work of junior level housing development staff depending on the needs of the Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees and coordinates all stages of affordable housing development including feasibility analysis, pre-development, design, project financing, construction, loan close-out and transition to property management for approximately four (4) development projects at any given time.
- Develops and manages relationships with federal, state and local funders, government agencies, community and neighborhood groups, development partners and industry professionals. Represents SAHA before government agencies, planning and zoning commissions, city council, and other community meetings to garner critical support and governmental approvals for potential projects.
- Researches and secures funding to support feasibility, pre-development, construction, and permanent financing phases of development. Conducts feasibility studies and develops pro-forma financial projections. Develops detailed financial analyses and budgets.
- Identifies and manages development team members including architects, engineers, contractors, legal counsel and financial consultants. Manages progress of all team members through project completion.
- Prepares all project payment applications to government and commercial lenders in coordination with the accounting department.
- Collaborates with the property management department on the development of operating budgets and facilitates a seamless transition to occupancy and the long term viability of the property.
- Collaborates with the resident services department to prepare supportive service plans and identify sources of necessary funding.
- Provides assistance and mentoring as necessary to junior project management staff.
- Participates in strategic planning and development of long-term growth objectives.
- Maintains project files; prepares files for removal to off-site storage at project close out.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- A minimum of four years of experience in affordable housing development project management is required.
- One or more years of Supervisory experience is preferred.
- Must demonstrate experience and successful track record overseeing all major phases of housing development including planning & entitlements, financing, construction, and conversion to occupancy.
- Master’s Degree in planning, business or a related field is desirable.
- Must be highly skilled in MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
Abilities and Attributes
- Commitment to SAHA’s mission.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly independent, with ability to handle daily responsibilities and projects with minimal direction.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Must have effective interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills.
- Must be accurate and highly detail-oriented with follow-through skills.
- Must be pro-active in identifying and proposing viable solutions with the ability to exercise sound judgment in all matters.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with project teams, different levels of management, funders, government agencies, and a wide variety of individuals.
- Knowledge of affordable housing funding sources.
- Ability to perform detailed financial analyses of housing developments concerning site acquisition, predevelopment activities, construction financing, and permanent financing.
- Ability to read and interpret architects’ drawings, legal documents and other complex documents.
Certifications or Licenses
Valid CA Driver’s License required, along with proof of insurance (DMV check will be required). Note: Reliable means of transportation to the office and off-site meetings is also required.
- May directly supervise Assistant Project Manager and/or Development Intern depending on the needs of the Department. When supervising, the SPM is responsible for training, coaching and overseeing the work of direct reports, including writing and conducting performance reviews and developing goals.
- Serves as an informational and training resource for less-experienced housing development staff including, project managers, interns, and administrative support (when needed).
- Directs the work and activities of architects, engineers, contractors, legal counsel and financial consultants.
*Satellite Affordable Housing Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer*
This advertisement is not inclusive of all responsibilities, skills, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this position. While this advertisement is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, management reserves the right to modify the position or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.