Founded in 2014, Lantian Development is a privately-held real estate investment and development company, based in Bethesda, Maryland. The company is focused on investing and developing all real estate asset classes within the Washington DC Metropolitan Area, specifically targeting opportunities that may present long-term value creation potential. Lantian has acquired 6 assets, totaling over 400 acres with the potential for over 1 million square feet of commercial and residential redevelopment in Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties (both MD) and the City Alexandria (VA).
Lantian is seeking an SVP/EVP of Development who can manage the entitlement of large scale master plans as well as the development of individual mixed use buildings, primarily retail, multifamily and hospitality. This is a new role which will report directly to the CEO and will work alongside the company’s acquisition, finance and asset management teams. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 7 to 10 years of related real estate development experience on large mixed-use, master plan projects, preferably with some experience working with multi-family, retail and urban infill. The candidate should be experienced in planning, implementing and successfully completing projects which are on time and within budget. Experience with assembling land, managing entitlements/zoning process, sourcing transactions, working with architects, engineers and contractors and understanding financial analysis and financial structures is required.
- Lead, coordinate and manage all project design and construction meetings. Foster positive working relationships with land use attorneys, design architects, civil engineers, general contractors, existing tenants, leasing brokers, and third-party consultants.
- Experience managing multifamily, retail commercial, and/or mixed-use ground up development projects from site identification through project completion and stabilization for companies that own and develop their own Class A mixed-use real estate.
- Underwrite, monitor and evaluate project performance against the baseline business plans for 3-5 development projects. Prepare and monitor monthly capital calls, loan draw packages and lender reports. Prepare quarterly reports comparing actual to budgeted performance.
- Build, maintain and analyze development/construction pro formas. Review and interpret all analysis including quarterly and annual project budgets by finance team. Identify potential risks, develop mitigation strategies and recommend key decisions for all development projects.
- Maintain relationships with appropriate government (city/county/agency) staff members, understand the inner workings of individual jurisdictions, and ensure the company is well represented. Strong preference given to those individuals with existing experience working with Rockville and Montgomery County.
- Source new development and value-add retail projects by networking with area brokers and land owners to find new opportunities.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelors/Undergraduate degree required. Strong preference given to candidates with a strong background in construction management, architecture, engineering, urban planning, finance and/or real estate development. Advanced Degrees (MS RE, MBA, JD) in Real Estate Development or a related field preferred. LEED AP is desirable.
- Capable of reading and evaluating technical documents including architecture and engineering plans, contracts, surveys, environmental & geotechnical reports, loan documents, etc.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, hands-on, creative environment. Passion for leading others and setting high standards for oneself and the organization.
- Possess strong organizational skills and be a self-motivator. Team oriented with exceptional communication (oral and written), networking, negotiation and project/people management skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and processes, perform market research and understand governmental rules, regulations and incentives impacting development required.
- Comfortable with financial models and detailed proforma analysis.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Power Point and Excel.
- High level of integrity, attention to detail, and excellent judgment.
Competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. Package includes 401K with company match, optional medical insurance, dental insurance and vision-care plan, prescription drug coverage, company-paid short-term and long-term disability and life insurance benefits and flexible paid time-off.