Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Pacific Charter School Development, Inc. or PCSD, a California non-profit public benefit corporation, is the leading developer of charter school facilities nationally. PCSD’s mission is to deliver quality learning environments for charter schools in underserved communities. Charter school operators face a number of challenges as they work to reform education in our nation – and more than 40% of operators report having stable, affordable facilities as a leading day-to-day issue and a major investment of their time that should be spent educating.
PCSD manages revolving equity funds and real estate development activities in three regions – Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington State. In total, we have constructed 60+ new facilities serving over 26,000 students, primarily in the California market. Our clients include some of the highest performing operators in the nation including Green Dot Public Schools, Alliance College-Ready Public Schools, Summit Public Schools, KIPP Bay Area Schools and many more.
The General Counsel is responsible for leading PCSD’s corporate strategic and real estate legal initiatives. The General Counsel provides senior leadership and the PCSD’s Board of Directors with effective advice on legal strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. He/She is directly involved in complex real estate and lending transactions and represents the organization in critical contract negotiations while best serving our charter school clients.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 5 years of broad legal experience, ideally with a focus on real estate and contracts, while being able to evaluate issues across multiple and complex deals and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. History as inside counsel is a plus. The General Counsel will report directly to the CFO and manage outside counsel.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The General Counsel supports the Development and Finance teams and provides general legal counsel to PCSD’s senior leadership and Board. The candidate for General Counsel should have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience either with a law firm, in house, or a combination of the two in the following areas:
- Evaluate corporate/non-profit structure and recommend to senior leadership and the board on best practice to sustain and grow the organization.
- Ensure that the organizations meets all regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Advise on revolving fund structure and investment strategies.
- Counsel the board of directors and management regarding governance issues and draft board resolutions.
- Experience delegating to and managing outside law firms, as needed, focused on work quality and timely turnaround.
- Negotiate and draft Letters of Intent and Purchase and Sale Agreements outlining deal terms, including roles and responsibilities in the development of projects.
- Negotiate and draft ground leases with land owners and leases with charter school operators using PCSD’s own lease agreement; experience with the AIR form of Lease ability to tailor the same to suit PCSD needs
- Experience reviewing title reports/commitments, preparing title objection letters, and owner policy endorsements.
- Experience forming and maintaining special purpose entities – limited liability companies – including drafting single member operating agreements
- Advise and structure the best construction contracting method to deliver the project affordably, on-time, and minimize risk.
- Negotiate and draft architecture and engineering contracts; familiarity with the AIA form preferred.
- Negotiate and draft construction contracts that encompass the lump sum, cost plus, and cost plus with a guaranteed maximum price delivery methods; PCSD has its own propriety form of contract
- Experience with the construction cycle and the review of draw packages, collection of lien waivers, notices of completion, etc.
- Basic understanding of non-profit law, including maintaining 501(c)(3) status and filing for various tax exemptions (property tax and business license)
- Proven ability to evaluate complex legal issues as they apply in various states a plus.
- 5+ of legal experience with an emphasis on corporate, transactional, and/or real estate preferred.
- 3+ years of effective management external counsel.
- Effective communication skills, with ability to communicate complex issues and counsel senior leadership on recommended solutions.
- Ability to negotiate complex transactions with a proven track record of results.
- Organized, detail-oriented, proven history of excellent performance
- Strong teamwork and team building skills
- Interest in reforming public education; mission-driven
- Juris Doctorate from a leading school required.
- Relevant industry experience or graduate degree in management consulting, commercial or charter school lending, real estate development, business, finance, or architecture
Annual salary starting at $140k depending upon experience.