UC San Diego
Associate, Real Property Leasing
Filing Deadline: Fri 2/2/2018
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
This position represents the UCSD Campus, UCSD Healthcare, and UCSD Extension (collectively “the University”), (1) implementing the Off- Campus Leasing program, representing the University as tenant in complex negotiations with developers, building owners, attorneys, real estate brokers, property management firms and public agencies, for office, laboratory, clinical office, medical office, instructional, warehouse, and miscellaneous uses; (2) negotiating and developing leases and other contracts in accordance with University policies for both University as tenant and University as landlord; (3) ensuring that leased facilities meet all University requirements and guidelines; (4) overseeing tenant improvement work and managing fiscal budgets; (5) performing lease administration and compliance activities.
This position provides professional analytical, technical, and research support in meeting overall Leasing Department goals and objectives for Campus real estate requirements, including Leases with the Regents as both Landlord and Tenant, Licensor and Licensee, and other real property transactions for which the Real Estate department is responsible. This position is responsible for (a) lease administration, including preparing documents, contracts and correspondence that support real property transactions for the Department (including property financial comparable analysis, contract proposals, lease and license contracts, and all supporting documentation), monitoring and making recommendations for resolution of rent and operating expense issues, tenant/landlord relations, lease terminations, property tax exemptions and refunds, and insurance compliance; (b) managing and maintaining the Department’s real estate database and creating complex reports for management; (c) conducting research for real property projects, including collection and analysis of data and making recommendations; (d) maintaining and updating Department website; and (e) maintaining the Department’s Lease and License records system.
• Professional experience in commercial real estate practices and lease contract development.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of commercial property management, basic real estate law, and contract interpretation.
• Proven ability and experience in conducting lease negotiations relating to financial and legal contractual terms, contract development, space planning, coordinating tenant improvements projects, finance, and property management.
• High level of analytical, mathematical and decision-making skills in order to analyze and interpret financial and legal contractual terms and to draft formal contracts.
• Ability to effectively resolve legal, financial and contractual issues and disputes.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy and flexibility to interact and maintain working relationships with University departments, University administration, industry representatives, charitable organizations and governmental agencies, including skills to clearly communicate information to a broad variety of people in written form, in person and on the telephone.
• Understanding of risk management, seismic, fire and other life safety and ADA compliance issues.
• Strong computer skills, including production of complex legal contracts, as well as analyses including spreadsheets, databases and modeling applications, specifically for financial feasibility analysis, operating budget performance analysis and database development.
• Demonstrated knowledge of economic and general accounting principles and practices.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to compile data and information, and draft formal documents and produce reports. Ability to draft accurate correspondence based upon negotiations and / or conversations, and the ability to keep accurate notes regarding transactions.
• Ability to deal with a multiplicity of demands and projects on an ongoing basis. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment of changing priorities and to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
• Ability to prioritize assignments, work independently or as a member of a team, as well as be responsive to supervision.
• Proven ability and experience in conducting analysis relating to financial and legal contractual terms, contract development, space planning, coordinating tenant improvements projects, finance, and property management. Skills in drafting of licenses and complex legal documents.
• Analytical, mathematical and decision-making skills in order to analyze and interpret financial and legal contractual terms and draft formal contracts.
• Capacity to effectively resolve financial and contractual issues and disputes.
• Demonstrated ability to produce high quality, complex written and financial reports and real estate documents, using advanced writing and proofreading skills, financial analysis, and advanced PC skills.
• Experience with and knowledge of real property lease contracts in order to verify compliance with financial terms and draft lease agreements.
• Demonstrated experience and skill to work independently or as a member of a team, take initiative, prioritize workload, and possess organizational and decision-making skills.
• Skills in records management (paper-based and electronic).
• Ability to operate standard office equipment.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.