The Multifamily Underwriting Director will report to the Senior Director of Structured Underwriting. The Director will be responsible for leading a team to originate, purchase and securitize conventional loans. Loan production is nationwide, can be of any loan size but is often highly structured and/or large pools. The Structured UW team focuses on affordable and conventional products offered by MF and includes any multifamily asset class, including seniors housing, manufactured housing and single family rental. Deals can be complex and require innovative and creative thinking along with addressing credit concerns.
- Overseeing the underwriting of loans sourced by the Structured Conventional production group
- Build and manage team of experienced and junior professionals to execute responsibilities in a demanding environment
- Active involvement with production, capital markets, legal, and pricing teams from the loan structuring/quoting stage through loan purchase and securitization as well as the management of deal flow and volume. Closely work with Production and outside legal counsel to structure and negotiate deals
- Creation of new and complex products on an as needed basis
- Approval of transactions, including review of underwriter created investment brief (pro forma, I&E and rent roll analysis, borrower financial position, market analysis), occasionally conducting property inspections and presenting deals for approval to executives as needed.
- Establishes operational objectives and work plans, and delegate's assignments to staff.
- Review, negotiation and approval of form and deal loan documents
- Involved in developing, modifying and executing company policies that affect immediate operations and may also have division-wide impact. Assist in development and implementation of strategic policies when selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Regularly interacts with senior management or executive levels on matters concerning several functional areas, divisions, and/or customers. Support strong credit quality through objective reviews and feedback on activities.
- Stay abreast of market and macroeconomic developments
- May assist with other lines of business such as Structured Affordable and Single Family Rental
- Typically has 10+ years of commercial real estate and 2+ years of direct management experience
- College degree in relevant field (Finance, Real Estate, Accounting, etc.) or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience in UW and/or securitizing commercial real estate loans
- Ability to complete multiple tasks under tight deadlines and handle competing priorities
- Strong leadership, collaboration, creative problem-solving and team-building skills
- Negotiation of loan documents with multiple parties
- Strong ability to interface with and act as internal liaison to Production, Capital Markets, Legal, Purchase, Enterprise Risk Management, and Asset Management teams
- Attorney or Lawyer with background in multifamily/commercial real estate
- Ability to think on your feet
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- CMBS/Capital Markets experience and CMBS/securitization knowledge
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you'll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.