Freddie Mac's Multifamily division provides mortgage funding for apartment loans throughout the nation, purchasing loans from a network of lenders and then securitizing these loans. Our fundings span the nation, including large metropolitan areas, mid-market cities and smaller communities. The properties we finance house a wide array of renters, including students, single professionals, working families and senior citizens. The Multifamily Investments & Advisory (I&A) team has an overall responsibility to manage the multifamily investment portfolio which includes mortgage loans and securities, and a growing credit guarantee portfolio. These responsibilities include portfolio analytics, reporting, risk management, trading, and various types of capital market transactions to transfer portfolio risks to private capital. I&A also aims to provide actionable research and advisory services that promote the understanding of the U.S. rental housing and capital markets, and create value for industry participants by constantly innovating through new product offerings that enhance the quality and availability of capital flows to the U.S. rental housing market. The Multifamily (MF) Portfolio Management Director role will report to the MF Investments & Advisory Sr. Director. The hired candidate will manage the market risk (including interest rate and spread risk) for the whole loan securitization pipeline and the investment portfolio.
- Oversee all hedging activities for Multifamily portfolios, including both interest rate risk and spread risk
- Develop and implement enhancements to existing hedging strategies/practices
- Establish operational objectives and work plans, and delegate assignments to subordinate analysts. Involved in developing, modifying and executing company policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect
- Work on issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives. Implements strategic policies when selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Establishes and assures adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
- Regularly interacts with senior management or executive levels on matters concerning several functional areas, divisions, and/or customers
- Direct team to conduct independent research and develop new portfolio risk and tracking analytics for interest rate and credit derivatives trading portfolio
- Typically has 10+ years related experience and 3+ years management experience
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Real Estate or related discipline and/or equivalent experience
- In-depth understanding and experience with the existing MF pipeline hedging strategies, infrastructure, process and reporting; familiar with interest rate derivatives such as interest-rate swaps, swaptions, treasury futures, caps/floors/collars, etc.
- Knowledge of credit derivative hedging products, such as CDX, CDX options, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to collaborate and negotiate with senior leaders across the enterprise
- Demonstrated success with relationship management, people management and influencing skills and ability to instill trust with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of Freddie Mac Multifamily mortgage products and mortgage finance in general
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel and other analytical tools
- Demonstrated business acumen and problem solving skills
- Possess a sense of urgency, passion for results, and personal accountability for achievement
- Advanced studies/degree/professional designations
- Demonstrated successful implementation of interest rate and credit spread management strategies for whole loan securitization pipeline and/or securities investments
- Hands-on risk management/trading experience with different interest rate and credit derivatives
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you'll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.