As one of the largest private-money lenders in the US, the Company focuses on providing responsive, flexible and reliable personal service to highly qualified and experienced real estate developers who buy, renovate, and sell single family residential real estate and/or multi-family apartment buildings.
Founded in 2007, the firm is backed by a leader among global investment managers specializing in alternative investments. The company offers a broad range of products and customized financing solutions, including bridge, construction and renovation loans. In 2016, the company exceeded $1 billion in loan originations during a single year setting a new company record.
The Vice President of Borrower Underwriting (Credit/Real Estate) is responsible to assist the Chief Credit Officer in managing the borrower underwriting function including establishing and managing borrower underwriting policies and procedures, evaluating borrower creditworthiness, and ensuring that the borrowers meet established guidelines to avoid assuming undue risk.
- Directs the Borrower Underwriting process by supervising and guiding the Borrower Underwriting team to ensure that they are following the established guidelines and best practices for assessing and managing borrower risk.
- Supervises the performance of Borrower Underwriters to ensure accuracy and compliance, reviews the tracking of KPI’s to ensure performance company-wide
- Interfaces with the Borrowers and is influential in assessing credit, capacity, collateral, and fraud prevention, including anti-money laundering compliance.
- Designs reporting functions to review and analyze all pertinent credit and financial information to include cash flow, debit service coverage ratio, income from personal and corporate tax forms, paystubs, 1040s, rental agreements, profit and loss statements, pensions and/or retirement benefits.
- Implement industry best practices tailored to our organization designed to properly assess the background evaluation process before credit approval is granted.
- Drives organizational initiative implementing process improvements to continuously monitor the company-wide portfolio.
- Provides financial modeling and analysis of data by creating and maintaining high-level, multifunctional excel reports and collaborating with other departments to incorporate their data for insight.
- Cultivates and fosters team building and cooperation, and motivates team members to achieve goals and further career development.
- Coaches and directs the activities of the work group, ensuring that employees have appropriate training and other resources to perform their jobs.
- Manages, trains, develops, and motivates the team to achieve and exceed performance goals. Follow our processes and improve their ability to provide our organization with the appropriate steps to retain and attract the right business.
- Provides performance feedback to provide customized coaching on a regular basis to each team member. Address disciplinary and/or performance problems according to company policy.
- Maintains follow-through on key account demand planning initiatives & objectives. Measures progress toward established goals and communicates results to appropriate personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s in Business or Finance preferred, Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required.
- Minimum 5-7 years in a financial leadership role required. Industry relevant experience in commercial lending underwriting, or credit analytics required. Commercial real estate, lending, and investment experience will also be considered
- Expert knowledge in complex commercial lending and financial deal structuring
- Industry knowledge of credit and financial analysis, including cash flow analysis, balance sheet analysis, profitability, liquidity and solvency analysis
- Expert knowledge of credit underwriting policies, procedures, processes, collateral valuation and documentation
- Highly Proficient/Advanced in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and database application
- Advance leadership and independent thinking skills
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to read and interpret data with macro and micro analytical skills
- Ability to incorporate information from many sources to identify underwriting risks, conduct analysis and articulate a concise recommendation
- Ability to lead and manage multiple tasks concurrently and self-prioritize workload to meet deadlines as an individual and leader
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, presentation, oral and written communication skills