Reports to: Vice-President, Leasing
Direct reports: N/A
The Leasing Associate will be responsible for providing comprehensive, confidential and professional level leasing and administrative support to the Vice-President of Leasing, Canada, in a demanding work environment. The Leasing Associate will be responsible for assisting the VP of Leasing, Canada, in the full cycle transactional leasing process. The associate must have a good knowledge and understanding of commercial leasing and of legal principles related to commercial lease documents and contracts. A high degree of professionalism and an ability to work independently with minimal supervision are necessary.
In addition, this role requires very well-developed relationship building skills, strong computer literacy, and problem-solving skills. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, high attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines are critical for success.
ESSENCE OF THE ROLE
- Collect information and documentation required for tenants’ change of control, assignments and insurance certificates including obtaining necessary internal approvals
- Assist in the preparation and verification of monthly reporting including but not limited to rent rolls, leasing activity reports and investor reports
- Work with the marketing team in the development of marketing materials, including but not limited to feature sheets, monthly emailers, property photographs, signage and company website
- Responsible for the organization of the annual golf tournament
- Work with Altus & Costar representatives to update vacancy information on their respective websites
- Coordinate and maintain updated building plans
- Preparing letters, memos and general correspondence addressed to tenants
- Tracking and maintaining documents such as leases, offers, renewals, lease approval forms, and any other documentation required for the full lease transaction cycle
- Responsible for uploading all the executed legal documents through SharePoint and sharing them with the Aeroterm Asset Management Group
- Prepare and provide all information and documents relating to new deals, renewals, expansions and/or extensions to the appropriate departments
- Maintain hardcopy files and folders
- Any other projects and/or tasks assigned by the Vice-President of Leasing.
- Develop strong partnerships and customer service relationships with tenants
- Track and follow up on key dates and deadlines for renewals, condition waivers and acceptance deadlines
- Work with the VP of Leasing to negotiate terms and undertake financial analysis of prospective deals and renewals for up to 2,500 sf of office space, in accordance with approved budgets and asset plans
- Conduct tours with prospective tenants for office spaces up to 2,500 sf.
- Work with Property Management team for tenant improvement budgets
- Review, interpret and verify lease clauses prior to preparing letters of intent (LOIs) and lease amending agreements
- Drafting, preparing, proof-reading and editing template documents and contracts including but not limited to letters of intent, offers to lease, temporary agreements, lease agreements and lease amending agreements
- Assist in the preparation of annual lease assumption and budgets
- Maintain an accurate and in-depth knowledge of all aspects of the properties, particularly rental rates, vacancies, layouts and square footage
- Maintain and communicate knowledge on market demand and supply
- Any other projects as assigned by the Vice-President of Leasing.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in commercial real estate leasing in a high-level administrative and/or paralegal function
- Experience in leasing and negotiations for small office spaces
- Real estate license preferred
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office, specifically with Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Experience in Yardi software, AutoCAD and Adobe Photoshop is an asset
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work with simultaneous priorities under tight deadlines and stressful conditions
- Autonomy, initiative, good judgment, capacity to provide solutions and independent decision-making skills are required.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while prioritizing accordingly
- Strong administrative skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Fluent bilingualism, written and spoken, is necessary.
- The Leasing Associate will work in a general office setting.
- Flexibility to work overtime when necessary
- This position may require limited travel (up to 20% of time) based on business/organizational needs
- Direct collaboration with the following departments: Lease Administration, Property Management, Development, Lease Transaction Team.
This position requires an individual who is open to new tasks and has the ability to complete projects without close supervision. The ideal candidate is someone who will be a team player and wants the opportunity to grow along with the company.