Senior Development Manager - Retail
Project Description: The District Wharf is the DC area’s premier mixed-use waterfront real estate development. Consisting of 3.2 million square feet of office, residential, retail, hotel and waterside uses in two phases, the build-out is expected to last through 2022 and will continue to transform the SW waterfront into a world-class destination.
PN Hoffman & Madison Marquette have assembled a highly professional and dedicated team of development, construction, finance, and management professionals who are committed to creating a world-class waterfront neighborhood. The project team for The Wharf enjoys a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
Position Summary: Sr. Development Manager for Retail reports directly to the Project Director and is responsible for the day to day management and development of the retail components of the Wharf Phase 2 development which total more than 100,000 square feet. The Sr. Development Manager will be broadly responsible for the design, development, and execution of the retail component and supporting the broader real estate development project requirements of The Wharf including coordination with the project’s vertical/horizontal Development Management, Construction Management, Financing, Marketing, Leasing, and Sales teams as well as the District Wharf Community Association.
- Design review and coordination of the retail component of development component across the 7 building Wharf Phase 2 campus. Each building is being designed by a separate architect and design team. Design and development responsibilities include:
- ensuring that all appropriate retail MEP/FP services have been located, coordinated, and properly sized;
- ensuring that service, access, and loading needs for retail have been considered;
- ensuring that façade, entry, and vertical circulation elements related to retail have been coordinated;
- and that interface between vertical building, retail space, horizontal realm, and garage are coordinated.
- Creation, coordination, and management of LOD documents for all retail spaces including ensuring that all lease and LOI documents transmitted to internal & external parties are up-to-date and accurate.
- Project Budget Updates, Financial Management, and Reporting including contractor and consultant payment requisitions.
- Maintain and update retail merchandizing plan and leasing plan to track leasing progress and verify against approved merchandizing plan.
- Monthly and quarterly financial reporting for retail component including costs/budget/revenue.
- Monthly reporting on lease tracking including rents, TI’s, landlord work and measure against baseline.
- Financial, Internal, Partner, and Public Reporting and Coordination to GP and JV.
- Contract Origination, Negotiation, and Processing including Change Order negotiations for GC and other consultants.
- Contractor RFI and Submittal response for tenant spaces.
- Tenant communication including management and follow through of executed LOI and Lease terms.
- Detailed schedule management of tenant deliveries including drawings, storefront designs, permits, café zones, and liquor licenses. Ensure schedule is maintained for overall project delivery.
- LEED/USGBC Submittals & Coordination (as applicable).
- Procure any owner required permits for successful tenant fit out.
- Manage the creation and implementation of legal agreements, easements, and associated documentation
- Active coordination and interface with community, ANC, local government, federal government, lease holders, and other interested parties.
- Prepare and supervise completion of project closeout including punchlist and owner acceptance of spaces.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in architecture, business, economics, engineering, finance, law, real estate, urban planning, or related field
- 5+ years of previous experience in real estate development, land development, project management, architecture, planning, or construction. Direct retail expertise strongly preferred.
- Must be able to effectively and efficiently manage multiple components of a development project at any given time and at various stages of the development life cycle
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, financial modeling, forecasting techniques, budgeting, reporting, and data analysis
- Strong business acumen with superior analytical and critical thinking skills
- Self-motivated and highly organized with meticulous attention to detail and strong work ethic
- Ability to partner with a variety of team members across project functions and levels
- Ability to read, understand, review, and organize construction plans and specifications
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work well under pressure to meet established deadlines and budgets
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong and relevant computers skills with experience in project management and scheduling software such as Microsoft Project
- Ability to publically represent The Wharf project through public interface and community outreach in a professional manner
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. Hoffman-Madison Waterfront offers health benefits and paid leave.
Please send your resume and a cover letter containing your salary requirements and where you learned of this job opening to: Matthew Steenhoek