Barings is a leading global asset management firm dedicated to meeting the evolving investment and capital needs of our clients. We build lasting partnerships that leverage our distinctive expertise across traditional and alternative asset classes to deliver innovative, institutional-quality solutions and service.
Our team-driven culture is based on transparency, responsibility and putting our clients’ interests first. We listen to our clients to understand their needs, so that we can be a strategic advisor and long-term partner in meeting their unique investment goals. Risk management and protecting our investors’ capital over the long term is an essential component of our lasting partnerships.
Barings is also committed to building long-term relationships with our associates and providing opportunities and support to help them succeed. With our expanding business and global footprint, Barings offers a wealth of opportunities for associates who share our culture, values and commitment to excellence in client service.
As an organization, we believe that a diversity of perspectives and strengths is essential to meeting the evolving needs of our clients, and we are committed to attracting and retaining a talented workforce as diverse as the clients and communities that contribute to our success.
This position supports the Structured Real Estate Investment group.
• Originate, structure, underwrite, negotiate and close high yield real estate debt investments for the Structured Real Estate Investments group including mezzanine development loans, preferred equity investments, bridge loans and construction loans across all asset classes.
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of third party client investment parameters and source opportunities with their investment criteria and returns.
• Work with legal counsel to negotiate term sheets, loan agreements, intercreditor agreements and related legal documentation.
• Oversee and coordinate the underwriting and due diligence of each transaction including financial modeling, market surveys, tenant credit analysis, and coordinating and analyzing third-party reports.
• Present investments to the Investment Committee.
• Create and maintain relationships with target borrowers, advisors, and intermediaries, which will provide a consistent pipeline of suitable investment opportunities.
• Help investment team set strategy, develop investment ideas, and grow new structured finance products.
• Participate in the development of new products and other activities as directed by the head of the Structured Real Estate Investments group.
• Lead, train, and develop junior team members.
• Provide Company management with information regarding current market conditions, including supply, demand and competitor activity.
• Collaborate with other members of the investment team to achieve company objectives.
• Minimum of ten years of commercial real estate investment experience, including five years minimum experience in structured debt originations.
• Successful track record of identifying, developing, and structuring mezzanine loans, senior bridge loans, construction loans and preferred equity investments. Experience with acquiring NPL’s is desirable.
• Proven ability to facilitate relationships with leverage providers, including history of negotiating favorable intercreditor agreements and experience financing and/or syndicating whole loan positions with various lending sources.
• Experience with all major real estate asset classes.
• Strong network of contacts among owners, developers, brokers, financiers, and others active in target real estate markets.
• Experience investing for third party investment vehicles including separate accounts, club deals, and comingled funds.
• Bachelor’s degree required, with Business or Finance preferred.
• MBA is strongly preferred.
• Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Interact with members of senior management, executives and line staff in a positive and collegial manner.
• Highly cooperative and willing to give credit to others. Puts the team in front of self.
• Ability to operate autonomously with complete transparency and integrity.
• Influence others and win support on critical issues.
• Effective negotiator with demonstrated ability to achieve consensus.
• Sophisticated financial skills, quantitative underwriting skills, and capital markets perspective with ability to structure investments to achieve Company’s investment requirements.
• Must have strong leadership qualities, a client service focus and a high standard of professionalism and integrity.
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
• Meet tight timelines and make key recommendations and decisions.
• Willingness and ability to travel overnight.
Barings is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer; Minority/Female/Age/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply.