Division: Asset Management
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director of Asset Management
Direct Reports: None
Location: San Francisco (Presidio)
The mission of the Hamilton Zanze Asset Manager is to assume the role of owner and to develop a culture where all people involved with the property think like owners. This is achieved by promoting a people-centric community built on open communication of challenges while encouraging everyone to participate in the identification of opportunities to improve. The Asset Manager is in charge of managing expectations for the management company, investors, and Hamilton Zanze. Asset Managers are involved in all aspects of the property from the time of underwriting the deal to the time the sale is closed.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Define strategy for property management team to execute.
- Attend due diligence at potential new acquisitions in market; provide perspective to acquisitions team on proposed business plan.
- Leads regularly scheduled organized interactions with property management team (with primary contacts being Regional Manager, Regional Maintenance Manager & Executive Vice President) via phone calls, email and site visits; orchestrating follow-up as a result of these meetings.
- Monthly balance sheet review - understand cash position of each asset.
- Monthly P&L review and comparison to property management budget, acquisition pro-forma & the greater market regular communication with PM team on successes/failures and questions.
- Reports to Senior Asset Manager and HZC Principals as requested for specific project and deliverables
- Quarterly recommendations for distribution changes.
- Interactions with private and institutional investors, including in-person meetings, telephone calls and report delivery.
- Interactions with Lender, insurance company, other third parties on behalf of owner.
- Quarterly property valuations, including preferred return & residual multiple with an awareness of sale comps and market cap rates.
- Coordinate with project management team and property management team on the acquisition business plan; recommend shifts when appropriate.
- Recommend opportune time to sell / refi; responsible to ensure P&L trend is maximized prior to sale; identify value add opportunities for new buyers.
- Become local market experts MPF quarterly report review, relationships with brokers & other owners, attendance of local events, review of local newspapers.
- Preparation of annual budget and business plan key piece to coordinate the balance of cash to investors, immediate reinvestment into property and savings for future reinvestment.
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing, and communication skills.
- Strong active listening skills.
- Ability to see the big picture and work within defined parameters.
- Self-motivated, team oriented, and strong time management skills to prioritize deadlines.
- Ability to be an independent worker with a team attitude.
- Proficiency with Excel required, knowledge of Yardi and Yieldstar preferred
- Some travel required (up to 25%).
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum of three year's real estate experience (multifamily experience desired)
*Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records*