About the City
The City of Arcata is located on the Northern California coast, approximately 275 miles north of San Francisco and 110 miles south of the Oregon border, in Humboldt County. As of 2010, Arcata’s population was 17,231. The City is framed by the Pacific Ocean on the west, forested hills on the east, the Mad River on the North, and Humboldt Bay to the south. At the center of Arcata is the Plaza. The Plaza is surrounded by various local businesses, such as bookstores, coffee shops, and restaurants.
Arcata’s mild climate, good air quality, beautiful scenery, and wealth of outdoor activities and recreation including fishing, hiking, surfing and river rafting, make it a desirable place to live and raise a family. As home to Humboldt State University, and College of the Redwoods just 30 minutes away, it allows easy access to higher education and cultural opportunities.
The City of Arcata is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.
About the Department
The Department is comprised of Building, Engineering, and Transit, with the City Engineer as the director of the Department. The Building and Engineering Department gives oversight to development within the City of Arcata.
The Building Division works with stakeholders, both private and public, on building and development projects including permitting and inspection responsibilities. The Building Official will be directly involved with regulating construction, alteration, use, and occupancy through use of standardized codes.
The City of Arcata has 120 full-time employees as part of its staff, and the Building and Engineering Department has a total of nine. This is a highly collaborative department, whose success in this regard depends highly on its employees.
The Building and Engineering Department is dynamic, lean, and fast-paced and the ideal candidate will be someone who thrives in that environment.
About the Opportunity
The Building Official will be responsible for the day-to--day operations of the Building Division. Additionally, the Building Official will perform highly technical and professional assistance in Building matters related to the protection of the health and safety of its citizens by ensuring building, construction and remodeling activities meet appropriate codes, standards and City ordinances. The incumbent is expected to have a high degree of technical expertise in areas of responsibility and to exercise considerable independence, judgment and discretion in the application and enforcement of building codes and ordinances within the City; and is expected to exercise initiative in ensuring building codes used by the City meet current legal and professional guidelines. Direct supervision is exercised over assigned staff.
Additionally, some of the bigger projects that the City currently has underway are:
- Implementation of a new building and development permit and code enforcement process and software.
- Continued review and recommendation of adjustments to building department fees, programs and services to achieve less dependency on the general fund and be at least an 85% self-support program.
- Continued involvement of the position and the Division in coordinating the existing commercial cannabis activity permit (CCAP)
- process, including building permit requirements in those instances where CCAP applicants are proposing remodeling or construction changes to the property or space in which the CCAP is being issued.
About the Responsibilities
Under general supervision of the Department Director, the Building Official plans, organizes, manages, and coordinates the Building Division activities, which includes building permit processing, plan checking, building permit plan review, building inspection, and building code compliance; recommends and implements City policy concerning building safety matters; provides highly responsible and technical assistance in the areas of assignment; and performs other related duties as assigned.
The responsibilities of the Building Official also include:
- Establishes standards by which plans are reviewed, in accordance with applicable building codes; recommends and implements programs, procedures, and practices for providing effective and efficient plan examination and building inspection services; reviews plans submitted for building permits; determines when plans are to be sent out to be reviewed by the City’s contract plans examiner(s); determines and calculates permit values and costs; issues and processes building permits.
- Inspects construction in various stages of completion to insure compliance with plans and codes; researches suitable alternate methods, designs, and materials, which meet the requirements of the Building Code, as necessary; prepares letters informing owners of code violations.
- Coordinates Land Use and Building enforcement activities, including inspection of substandard housing and commercial building complaints; enforces all appropriate building and safety codes and ordinances, including issuing “Stop Work Orders”, “Notice of Nuisance”, and “Unsafe to Occupy” notices; prepares warning letters to negligent owners or contractors, and carries negligent cases through prosecution channels in situations of non-compliance; testifies in court as required.
- Confers with legal, police, fire and other necessary authorities regarding building, fire, life safety and other code interpretations and applications, including performing inspections of substandard buildings, gaining right-of-entry into unsafe, dangerous or hazardous structures for the purpose of inspection and enforcement, and obtaining inspection warrants if right-of entry is refused.
- Assigns, directs, and reviews the work of assigned personnel, including providing training, feedback, and direction, motivating employees, and conducting performance evaluations and disciplinary actions.
- Acts as Staff to assigned Committees and Commissions; serves as liaison between assigned Committees/Commissions and City, including attending meetings, and preparing and presenting reports and recommendations.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Possess a valid California Driver's License.
- Possess, or obtain within twelve (12) months of date of hire, a Building Official certification issued by CABO (Council of American Building Officials) or ICC (International Code Council).
- Possess ICC Building Inspector or Combination Inspector certification.
- May be required to obtain Electrical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector and/or Mechanical Inspector certification.
- College coursework in structural, mechanical, civil engineering, architecture, or related field; and at least four (4) years progressively responsible experience as a Plans Examiner or
- Building Inspector working under the direction of a Building Official, or related experience, and some supervisory experience, preferred.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with technical expertise, strong leadership skills and resolve to provide clear vision and effectively manage and guide the ongoing direction for the Building Division programs and services; as well as overall Department goals.
- Will plan, organize, direct, implement, and evaluate departmental programs, goals, and objectives in the assigned area; taking initiative, reasoning logically, and being creative in developing and introducing new ideas; defining problem areas and evaluating, recommending, and implementing alternative solutions to complex issues and problems.
- Will be a key initiator and coordinator in routinely collaborating across organization lines to accomplish shared results and centralizing assigned programs and services.
- Demonstrates a responsive, service-minded, and open communication style; and is an effective and credible communicator within the City organization and with the public; establishing and fostering relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Uses tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy and legal guidelines in politically sensitive situations.
- Can manage resources actively and creatively, including budget, to maximize effectiveness.
The salary range is $63,077.04 to $76,085.64 annually. A 2% salary increase is scheduled for 7/1/18.
A full summary of benefits can be found on our website in our jobs section.
Important Application Information
To apply for this opportunity, please visit Koff & Associates’ website and complete an online application. As an alternative, you can mail the completed application materials to this address:
Koff & Associates
2835 7th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
The deadline to apply is March 23rd.
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.