Brookfield Properties is a leading owner, operator and developer of office and multifamily assets. Our signature office properties define the skyline of dynamic cities around the world, including gateway cities such as Los Angeles, New York, London, Berlin, Toronto, and Sydney. Our multifamily business owns, develops, renovates and manages approximately 40,000 high quality rental apartment buildings in supply constrained markets of major cities such as Los Angeles and London, as well as high growth markets in the suburban U.S.
Voted 2017 Best Places to Work in LA
JOB DESCRIPTION / RESPONSIBILITIES
Brookfield is currently searching for a Senior Regional Controller to manage accounting, financial control, and reporting of all regional assets.
- Oversee accounting and reporting for all Southern California office investments.
- Responsible for the preparation of all financial statements and supporting analyses for IFRS reporting to BPY and for US GAAP (cost basis and investment company accounting) for fund-level investments.
- Oversee all lease reporting for core, balance sheet assets.
- Provide oversight for all required financial analysis relating to proposed leases, lease buyouts, etc. for leasing and property management personnel as requested, with recommendations and supporting data. Prepare financial analysis of developmental and financing options of senior management and/or Corporate Finance department.
- Oversee, organize, and finalize the following documents for quarterly and annual reporting: Supplemental, MD&A, Financial Statements, Audit Committee reports, press release, and board packages.
- Assist EVP and VPs to review variances when preparing for monthly and quarterly results.
- Oversee the group’s activities to ensure the deliverables are ready on time (i.e. board package, supplemental, pieces from other departments, etc.)
- Oversee month-end and quarterly closing for timely and accurate completion by scheduled dates.
- Prepare specialized quarterly reports for lender, providing legal entity financial statements and cash flow. Compile and communicate draw requests to lender for reimbursement of repairs and leasing costs.
- Communicate with banks to monitor, establish or close accounts, or contract for services. Initiate/confirm wire transfers, sign checks, reconcile gift certificate account.
- Continuously improve quality and timeliness of both external and internal reporting by improving methodology.
- Keep knowledge of external reporting requirements for IFRS and GAAP current through research and continuing education. Act as subject matter expert for IFRS and GAAP requirements.
Budget and Forecasting
- Oversee and organize the corporate budgeting process, and coordinate with regional departments.
- Provide regional oversight and leadership of the forecasting and budgeting process. Review and report monthly financial results and quarterly forecasts for internal and external purposes.
- Coordinate annual regional budget process by conducting meetings, distributing budget schedule, and answering questions. Produce long-term budget forecast on projection software.
- Ensure general ledger is property updated, entries are notated as required and monthly and quarterly reports, such as income, cash flow, and variance reports, and are created and distributed. Oversee the accounts payable process and ensure accurate, timely payment within policy.
Audit and Compliance
- Co-ordinate/Liaise with auditors on significant issues. Oversee process and ensure timely and accurate completion of audits. (i.e. review memos, review/draft reporting documents, hold meetings with audit partner and senior managers).
- Ensure compliance with all government rules and regulations.
- Ensure compliance of all loan covenants and reporting requirements.
Policies and Procedures
- Consult with head office Financial Planning & Analysis team for best practices and guidance/input.
- Prepare/review consolidated debt, reconciliations, analysis, presentations, etc.
- Maintain an effective control environment by designing and developing internal control procedures to safeguard the Company’s assets.
- Oversee systems, the power users and works to enhance system outputs (HFM, Yardi).
- Establish and implement accounting policies and procedures for the region.
- Identify and resolve accounting issues and set accounting standards in accordance with company policies and generally accepted accounting principles.
Provide Internal Consultation
- Work with asset managers to understand quarterly valuations (assets and debt), movements and metrics as well as investment returns.
- Assist the acquisition team in the acquisition process, run on-boarding process for new investments, including investment integration and system set-up.
- Maintain understanding of investment level business plans and preparation and consolidation of all balance-sheet investment plans.
- Function as accounting/financial partner to Region/Department Heads and provide financial expertise to senior management.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new accounting software.
- Perform financial due diligence on acquisitions & dispositions and participate in business analysis of transactions.
- Participate in steering committee meetings.
- Assist VP and CFO in various ad hoc projects (i.e. prepare special reports, new system requirements, etc.).
Manage Corporate Accounting
- Lead and arrange monthly closing meetings with properties and review the properties’ financial results.
- Assess and establish accounting policies and procedures, along with Regional Controller, for southern California assets. Provide guidance and advice to Senior Management regarding various strategies and initiatives.
- Manage and develop the regional corporate accounting team. Create a team working environment and encourage open communication. Effectively manage the team and respective tasks.
- Oversee all monthly and between-quarter responsibilities for entire team and assess where roles or tasks can be shifted among team members.
- Mentor future leaders and develop specific career development paths and succession plans for regional staff.
- College Degree Required: BS/BA Accounting
- Professional accounting degree or designation preferred
- 10+ years of extensive experience with commercial real estate accounting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong accounting skills with in-depth knowledge of GAAP and IFRS
- Work independently and in a team environment in deadline driven environment
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to multi-task; able to provide results under tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience managing a group of staff required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe
- Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) experience is a plus
- Yardi experience is a plus
- Real estate experience a plus