The Project Associate is part of the Development Department, working with project teams to support the development of affordable housing communities, including the entitlement, financing, design, construction, leasing, and on-going maintenance. Project Associates are supervised by a Director of Housing Development and perform a variety of complex tasks involving administrative, analytical, and project management functions in a dynamic professional environment. A Project Associate must use considerable judgment and initiative to determine the approach or action to take in non-routine situations. Responsibilities included representing MidPen to vendors and external partners, preparing internal and external documents, and creating content for competitive financing applications to support the growth and consistent quality of the Development Department’s work and affordable housing.
Coordinate and participate in meetings with internal departments, outside consultants, contractors, public agencies and financial partners as necessary and required during initial feasibility and due diligence.
- Prepare presentation materials as needed, including graphs, slide decks, and printed materials for internal and external partners as requested including public agencies, milestone meetings, and board/committee meetings.
- Organize and maintain documents on the Development drive of the MidPen server.
- Assist with construction and permanent loan closings including coordination of due diligence, internal document review, and title documents.
- Facilitate the transition of projects to Asset Management team, including identification of key issues and terms in a project summary, and hand over of critical documents.
- Assist with preparation of responses to development RFPs.
- Prepare and maintain filing system for projects.
- Manage written correspondence with external partners.
- Prepare project specific proposal requests, solicit bids from reputable consultants, prepare verbal and written responses, and prepare vendor contracts for execution.
- Obtain copies of architectural and engineering plans as necessary for submittal to public agencies or other consultants.
- Complete research tasks as needed in order to support Project and Portfolio Managers, including research on warranty issues, appliances, and other products.
- Assist in preparation of planning materials.
- Assist in preparation of logistics and materials for community meetings and outreach.
- Provide additional support to Project and Portfolio Managers as tasks arise.
- Maintain the Development Department portion of MPHC’s database.
- Compile Reports for the Development Department.
- Assist with general duties as assigned.
Performs other assignments as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Community Development, or related fields.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Software, including PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as building and zoning codes, operating, and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and effectively via phone and in writing with site staff and internal partners, and external vendors.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs in Excel.
- Ability to compile and analyze data accurately and proficiently.
- Ability to solve practical problems, tackle new projects and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited information exists.
- Ability to adapt to changing needs of the Development Department as new projects and tasks arise.
- Detail oriented;
- Ability to work both within a team and independently;
- Ability to multi-task under pressure in order to meet competing deadlines, gather and analyze information, and solve problems skillfully and timely in a fast paced work environment.
- Must have a valid California Driver License, reliable transportation, and proof of current auto insurance policy.