About the Company
TH Real Estate, an affiliate of Nuveen (the investment management arm of TIAA), is one of the largest real estate investment managers in the world with $99bn in global AUM and $70bn in the Americas. Managing a suite of nearly 80 funds and mandates spanning both debt and equity across diverse geographies, sectors, investment styles and vehicle types, we provide access to every aspect of real estate investing. With offices in 20 cities throughout the US, Europe and Asia-Pacific, over 500 professionals and 70 years of investing experience, the platform offers impressive local expertise coupled with a sophisticated global perspective.
About the Group
The Multifamily Team is responsible for executing and managing various investment strategies across various sectors including multifamily and student housing. The TH Real Estate Multifamily Acquisition Team has responsibility for sourcing, evaluating, underwriting, structuring, pricing, due diligence, closing, and recommending new investment opportunities to Portfolio Management. Investments consist primarily of wholly-owned real estate, but may include joint ventures and fund investments. TH Real Estate’s multifamily acquisitions program is one of the largest in North America with approximately $1-2 billion in anticipated annual investment activity.
The Director will report to the Head of Multifamily Acquisitions and will take a leading role in evaluating and executing on real estate acquisitions across multifamily various investment strategies, including but not limited to core, core plus and value add investments. A position requirement is that applicants have deep and numerous relationships within the real estate industry with an emphasis on multifamily in Northern California and Pacific Northwest markets and have the ability to further develop, expand and maintain external relationships with key market participants, investment sales, leasing brokers and lenders.
- Independently sources, underwrites, bids, negotiates and closes real estate investments (with a focus on multifamily) which fit the business plans of internal and external clients - concentration/focus in the West and Pacific Northwest territory.
- Evaluates investments and investment returns based on discounted cash flows, return on cost, development spreads and third-party leverage; analysis also to include impact of value-added opportunities, leverage, tax, and joint venture structures.
- Develop, expand and maintain external relationships with key market participants, investment sales, leasing brokers and lenders.
- Ability to lead internal disciplines and develop strong relationships with these business partners.
- Ability and willingness to advocate a reasoned point of view and engage in an honest and fact based debate with senior leadership in a public forum when appropriate.
- Maintains complete and current knowledge of investment strategies and works with Head of Multifamily Acquisitions in the execution of investment strategy.
- Prepares and oversees all investment authorizations and assures that all financial, market and risk analysis is correct and accurate.
- Understands and keeps abreast of market dynamics and trends and seeks the input of research and other professionals in all analytic activities;
- Monitors and analyzes economic, legal, political and market conditions within assigned areas.
- Oversees (or undertakes directly) the coordination and compliance with all requirements for closing and funding of transactions.
- Identifies appropriate financing strategies; evaluates financing proposals, while working with THRE’s capital markets team
- Act as a resource to junior members of the team and provide mentoring support and guidance as a means of demonstrating leadership awareness
- BA or BS required
- Minimum of 7 years of real estate transaction related experience with a demonstrable track record of sourcing, analyzing, negotiating and acquiring multifamily real estate.
- Possesses strong knowledge of multifamily real estate, economics, finance, valuation, and private equity, financing, accounting and legal structures.
- Position requires advanced analytical/reasoning skills to analyze disparate information flows based on market specific practice into a meaningful, relative-value basis. Requires advanced reasoning skills to effectively and timely identify viable investment opportunities which meet the long and short-term goals of multiple investor clients.
- Experienced and proficient in Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently in sourcing, underwriting and negotiating transactions. Strong written and verbal presentation skills that are directed to internal and external clients.
- Ability to regularly travel to various markets for purposes of deal sourcing, evaluation, relationship building and obtaining market information.
- Possess a developing knowledge of the process of investing in institutional quality real estate on a global basis, including financing, joint venturing, fund raising and managing.
- Strong networking skills including but not limited to; Working closely with the brokerage community, direct sellers of real estate and joint venture partners to identify investment opportunities.
- Experience making investment recommendations to senior investment professionals and/or investment committees and clients; strengthens existing relationships. Demonstrated consistently solid judgment regarding deals, people and situations.
- MBA or MS preferred.
- Experience with workforce housing and/or multifamily tax-exempt bond financing.
- Joint venture and disposition experience preferred.
- Ability to work in a team context and under pressure of tight deadlines, uncertain information and with limited resources; ability to manage time efficiently and to adapt to changing priorities as set by senior members of TH Real Estate.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.