Job Title: Real Estate Investment Associate
Department: Project Development
Reporting: Director, Project Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
CanAm is currently seeking a Real Estate Investment Associate to support our Project Development team in its deal sourcing and due diligence functions. The Associate will work with closely with CanAm’s Executive Staff and the Director, Project Development on new EB-5 and equity private placements.
One of CanAm’s major initiatives is to develop and structure additional private equity investment opportunities for our existing EB-5 clientele and expand our investor pool to include institutional investors. The Associate will collaborate with Executive Management and Director, Project Development to develop and grow a private equity platform and evaluate potential investment and joint venture opportunities that are aligned with CanAm’s conservative investment approach.
This Associate position is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to explore the EB-5 investment market and wants to utilize their real estate and/or private equity industry and financial analysis experience in a collaborative and rapidly growing entrepreneurial firm. CanAm’s work culture is based on empowering all employees to be autonomous, flexible, innovative, adaptive and calculated risk-takers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
Business Development/Investment Due Diligence
- Answer incoming calls and respond to email inquiries from prospective borrowers regarding EB-5 and private equity financing. Collect relevant data and report to the Director, Project Development regarding next steps. Conduct required follow-up (application, request for additional information, schedule meetings, site visits, etc.)
- Develop a thorough understanding of CanAm’s track record and the EB-5 program. Regularly review EB-5 related publications to update existing knowledge.
- Develop and modify PowerPoint presentations and promotional materials for industry events and meetings with prospective borrowers.
- Review incoming project documentation (letters of interest, leases, term sheets, commitment letters, contracts, environmental/engineering reports, etc.) and summarize key information for management’s review.
- Conduct research on prospective projects and industries, including economic, demographic, market and other data as needed.
- Assist in asset management activities for existing EB-5 and private equity investments with our department staff.
Financial Analysis/Excel Modeling
- Analyze and underwrite prospective EB-5 and private equity investment opportunities for a variety of structures and project types (new construction, public-private partnerships, infrastructure, business expansion, etc.) to determine if the investment meets CanAm’s structuring and underwriting guidelines.
- Evaluate cash flow models, company financials, pro-formas, sensitivity tables, rent rolls, waterfall models etc. to determine suitability of prospective investments.
- Develop and maintain detailed Excel models to analyze prospective private equity investments and regularly track existing investments.
- Assist in drafting financial sections of disclosure documents to be offered to prospective investors.
- Time management skills – Managing time effectively to meet deadlines, planning, organizing and multi-tasking workload.
- Strong quantitative skills and analytical abilities to conduct financial modeling. Attention to detail required to review data inputs and complete reports.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team within an entrepreneurial and diverse work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work effectively within the department, with executive management and external parties.
- Good judgment and problem solving skills. Ability to consult with Project Development team on issues and proposed solutions related to CanAm’s sourcing and due diligence process.
- Resourcefulness - Ability to evaluate assigned projects and consult with internal and external parties to gather the necessary information to make a final decision.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Finance, Accounting, Real Estate or related discipline. Three to five years of relevant full-time experience (real estate finance, private equity, banking, pubic-private partnerships, economic development agencies, underwriting, asset management, credit analysis, etc).
- Understanding of basic finance concepts such as NOI, cash flow, cap rates, internal rate of return and net present value/discounted cash flow.
- Understanding of basic real estate terms and concepts such as net leases, gross leases, contracts, rents, percentage rents, operating expenses, capital expenditures, expense recoveries as applicable to various project types.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office products) with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel (financial modeling).
- Knowledge and exposure to FHA and HUD financing guidelines a plus.
- Willingness to travel (10-20% within the United States) to project sites, meetings and/or conferences.
Expectation for All Employees: Support CanAm Enterprises’ core principles: high level of integrity and ethics, maintain positive and respectful interactions within the firm and the general public; personal accountability and attention to detail.
Start Date: Spring 2018
Compensation: Annual salary range commensurate with relevant experience and education. Annual merit bonus based on supporting department metrics. Fully-paid employee medical and dental insurance coverage. After one year of employment, employees are allowed participation in a 401K plan (5% of gross salary is vested). Paid time off provided to all full-time staff. CanAm provides a positive work/life balance to employees with standard office hours.
How to Apply: Email cover letter and resume through Select Leaders. Qualified candidates will be contacted for a phone interview and will be asked afterwards for a writing sample and a financial model for our review. Due to the large number of applicants, please do not call or email regarding receipt of your resume.
CanAm Enterprises, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.