The Design and Construction Manager oversees capital planning and construction projects from concept to move in. In this role you will be responsible for fostering a collaborative approach, building and leading teams to ensure projects are completed on schedule, within budget, and of high quality, while ensuring projects meet the goals and branding objectives of NorthBay Healthcare (NBHC). The ideal candidate for this position will have working knowledge and experience of real estate design and construction including, project assessment, coordination of third-party consultants, permitting process, budgeting, scheduling, project accounting, and construction oversight through operational turnover.
- Provide input into the preparation of NBHC s Master Facility Plan. The goal is to be consistent with strategic and financial plans. Ensure projects coordinate with the Master Facility Plan. Help to guide, coordinate with, and update the medical office building Master Space Plan with each new project.
- Establish and manage capital and operating budgets, as assigned, and manage expenditures to meet budgets.
- Research and recommend best project delivery method for each project assigned, minimizing risk to NBHC. Use knowledge and expertise to negotiate various contract types including design, guaranteed maximum price, lump sum, design assist, design build, CM at risk, and others. Become familiar with integrated project delivery, BIM, and lean processes and contracts. Remain abreast of the changing impacts specific types of contracts could have on lending institutions.
- Manage all phases of a project from planning, programming, budgeting, approvals, design, preconstruction, permitting, bidding, construction, occupancy, and close-out. Clearly understand the role of an owner s representative and maintain a constant focus on achieving the objectives of NBHC.
- Through all project phases, lead project meetings, establish agendas, manage discussions, assign action items, and track and follow-up on open items until satisfactorily closed. Act as the key point of contact for all team members, responsible for the coordination of all activities to achieve project objectives. Ensure that project information and documentation is provided to team members in a manner that facilitates timely decision-making and actions. Foster approach of continuous learning from past experiences.
- Identify needs at project inception, with Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment department / IT experts and develop budgets for projects as assigned. Facilitate meetings with FF&E / IT experts, user groups and project design and construction teams through planning, design and construction to coordinate project needs.
- Participate in the selection of project teams, maintaining and building on the existing pool of pre-qualified planners, architects, contractors, and developers. Process requests for qualifications / proposals from preparation and issuance through interviews, analysis and recommendation of award.
- Coordinate and manage architects, engineers, planners, consultants throughout the development process, including approvals, zoning, design, and construction to identify potential cost savings. Interact directly with subcontractors and general contractors, assist in quantifying and delineating scopes of work.
- Stay on the forefront of the industry, keeping abreast of developments in healthcare facility design and construction that can provide better patient outcomes, reduced construction time and cost, and increased branding opportunities. Develop the ability to see beyond individual projects to the successful future of NBHC.
- Monitor long-lead items and project completion dates and ensure general contractor and subcontractors adhere to strict project schedules.
- Manages the preparation of daily and weekly reports, and prepares monthly reports that discuss, in detail, the status of the project.
- Prepare site specific due diligence reports addressing all diligence, entitlements and zoning.
- Coordinate with city entities and departments to facilitate the permit process.
- Consult with city personnel on issues such as transportation, roadways and other issues affecting projects.
- Apply for, manage and receive all project entitlements such as development agreements, masterplans, studies, zoning, platting and approvals in conjunction with municipalities, providers, utilities and districts.
- Advise management on site layout, design and potential cost savings associated with all utility designs and service needs.
- Build healthy productive relationships with project teams, and customers both internally and externally.
- Maintain a positive attitude and actively work to continuously improve the quality of the Facility Development department s processes.
- Bachelor s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, or related field or 10 years of experience. A graduate degree or project management certification is a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of project management experience in planning, design and construction of healthcare facilities in California; 10 15 years preferred.
- California license in Architecture or Engineering desired, but not required.
- Proficiency of Word and Excel.
- The NorthBay Way is a set of value-based behaviors that are to be consistently demonstrated and role modeled by all employees that work at NorthBay Healthcare. The NorthBay Way principles consist of Caring, Communication, Collaboration, and Competence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with the public, co-workers, tenants and physicians.
- Ability to work with groups of all sizes; strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Display a high degree of initiative, judgment and maturity.
- Gets results; likes challenges; handles risk and uncertainty; effectively copes with change; makes difficult decisions in a timely manner; analyzes both successes and failures; effectively manages several projects at once; sets priorities well.
- Experience leading multiple projects at various phases simultaneously.
- Be capable of reviewing and understanding construction drawings and specs to enable review of materials and labor estimates from GC s and subcontractors.
- Ability to develop and maintain project budgets, cash flow projections and schedules.
- Skills in interpreting architectural and construction contracts.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve confrontational issues as they arise.
- Physical Requirements: Minimal: sitting, occasional lifting or moving boxes and supplies.
NorthBay Healthcare opened its first hospital in 1959 and remains Solano County's only locally based, locally managed nonprofit healthcare organization. NorthBay Medical Center in Fairfield and NorthBay VacaValley Hospital in Vacaville are known for providing quality services. Our hospitals offer 24-hour emergency care, intensive care, and sophisticated surgical and diagnostic services. The NorthBay Medical Group with offices in Fairfield, Vacaville and Green Valley, includes more than 100 primary care and specialty care providers. Our other keynote services include the NorthBay Cancer Center and the Center for Orthopedics. In 2016 NorthBay HealthSpring Fitness opened, the first medical fitness center in the county. NorthBay Healthcare leads the way in providing advanced medicine to the people of Solano County. Our compassion, our commitment to excellence, and the depth and breadth of our services, is a testament to our enduring commitment to the local community.
The NorthBay Way is a set of value-based behaviors that are to be consistently demonstrated and role modeled by all employees that work at NorthBay Healthcare. The NorthBay Way principles consist of Caring, Communication, Collaboration, and Competence. Employees have the responsibility and accountability to demonstrate and role model these behaviors. Employees are empowered to provide feedback to peers, co-workers, and/or physicians, when appropriate to address behavior consistent and inconsistent with the NorthBay Way.
Caring: Employee consistently treats everyone they come in contact with (peers, co-workers, physicians, visitors, patients) in a friendly and helpful manner. Employee demonstrates genuine concern for the wellbeing of others. Employee consistently treats others as the individual wants to be treated, affirms the worth and potential of others, and encourages caring behaviors.
Communication: Employee earns and maintains the trust of others by being consistent in his/her words and actions. Employee listens first and strives to understand events and concerns as they have meaning to others. Employee provides frequent, direct, truthful, and consistent communication. Employee ensures clear and compelling purpose for the work that needs to be done and shows appreciation for the efforts and results. Employee celebrates accomplishments.
Collaboration: Employee consistently honors promises and commitments. Employee conducts his/her work in the spirit of cooperation. Employee establishes and maintains healthy interpersonal relationships with everyone with whom he/she comes into contact (peers, co-workers, physicians, visitors, patients, etc.). Employee appreciates and uses the knowledge and experiences of others, including those that might differ from his/her own. Employee fully supports decisions once made. He/She is fair, equitable, and aware of all actions affecting others.
Competence: Employee consistently takes personal responsibility for uncompromising levels of service, quality, and safety. Employee is accountable for problems and opportunities that cross his/her path by doing whatever it takes to do the right thing. Employee manages resources with prudence and responsibility. Employee encourages innovation and risk taking in others. Employee engages in lifelong learning to grow more skilled.
- Architecture / Design
- Facilities Management
- Project Management
7+ to 10 years
Apply for this job