Position: Director of Finance, Development
Reports to: Head of Development
Direct Reports: Senior RE Financial Analyst
Location: Boston, MA
Our client is a family office and a Boston-based investment firm with an additional office in Utah. The company’s primary areas of investment include real estate in New England and Utah, direct investments in private companies, and alternative investment vehicles, such as private equity and venture capital funds.
The Director of Finance, Development will drive the financial and schedule controls across the development projects by analyzing and advising on performance and risks. They will be an integral member of the development team and responsible for keeping a keen awareness of development project’s financial position and acting to prevent problems. This position will have a direct relationship with JV, equity, and financial institution partners and will be responsible for fostering those relationships.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee project budgets and forecasting including project amounts and report on variances between forecast and actual and the development of an appropriate plan to reallocate as necessary.
• Review, approve, and process payments for development invoices and requisitions
• Develop and reconcile project accounting systems and analysis on a timely basis for required reporting
• Oversee project cost forecasting, identify trends and issues requiring attention
• Ensure compliance with reporting and other investor requirements
• Work directly with the Senior Financial Analyst to develop and refine proformas, project budgets, and expenditures for development projects
• Build effective working relationships with the project team members
• Build and nurture relationships with investors, joint venture partners, and lenders.
• Maintain an in-depth, working knowledge of all development projects and their status financially and physically through strategic participation in all phases of project and construction meetings from entitlements through stabilization.
• Negotiate general contractor, design professional, and consultant contracts for development projects in tandem with the General Counsel.
• Work directly with the Senior Financial Analyst and the Head of Development to sign off on project analytics focusing on long-term success of each project.
• Exemplify the company values of open and courageous communication and risk taking by raising issues immediately and concisely with appropriate recommended action
• Proven emotional maturity
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, finance or relevant field and a minimum of 10+ years of finance work with proven experience in the real estate, private equity, construction and development industries.
• Expert with Excel (Vlookups, Pivot Table) and proficient with MS Office and financial and project software.
• CPA or CPA candidate preferred
• In-depth, working knowledge of partnership/fund accounting concepts for the development industry
• Strong interpersonal skills and strategic thinker
• Ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple projects
• Previous experience with and comprehensive understanding of working with a family business and dynamic joint venture organization with a focus on long-term asset holds.
• Comprehensive understanding of change orders, construction process, and project management.
- Accounting / Control
10+ to 15 years
Apply for this job