Real Estate Controller
We are looking for a driven and business-oriented Controller to join our growing team and help direct financial activities as our business continues to grow. To be successful in this role you’ll have to lead a team, work well cross-functionally, be resourceful, capable of adapting to an ever-changing work environment, and have a high sense of ownership.
This is a ground-floor opportunity to be a key member of a well-capitalized, VC-backed company as we build a sustainable market leading brand in online real estate investing. Join a company spearheading the charge on innovating in an industry that has been left untouched by tech, until now!
The preferred candidate will have REIT experience, not property accounting or fund accounting but actually REIT accounting for the REIT itself, as well as corporate accounting.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the accounting team: supervise, develop and motivate staff, ensuring top performance, positive morale and clearly defined career paths.
- Manage books and financials for the company’s operating entities, investment vehicles, and real estate investment trusts (REITs), including management of the monthly close process.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, cash flows, and stockholders' equity to provide accurate and timely reporting and analysis.
- Prepare accurate and complete annual GAAP financial statements, including required footnotes and relevant financial analysis for the company’s audits.
- Partner with the VP of Finance and Chief Operating Officer to build budgets and long term projections and manage the company’s liquidity.
- Work with the real estate and marketplace operations teams to ensure smooth daily operations on both the real estate transaction side and the capital market side.
- Maintain and enhance key internal controls and accounting policies and procedures and ensure compliance and consistency throughout the company as well as identify process improvements.
- Coordinate and serve as primary contact with Company's third parties as related to the accounting department such as external auditors, REIT administrators, and banks.
- Collaborate with the company’s internal tech team and with external vendors to leverage to automate and streamline processes and reporting to support efficient growth and scale.
- Assist with preparation of regulatory filings related to the company’s REITs and its other investment vehicles.
- Manage day to day improvements, upgrades and implementation of Oracle Fusion (and other financial systems, if any) as required by the business.
- Collaborate with our tax advisors to prepare year-end tax forms, including 1099s, K-1s, and federal and state returns
- Assist with cash management, including sending distributions to investors
- Assess accounting impact of new strategic initiatives
- Perform technical research and prepare accounting memos
Who You Are:
- You are a CPA, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or in Business or Finance with relevant accounting course work
- You have start-up or early stage company experience and/or have worked for a company of 100 employees or less, within the Real Estate, Fintech or Investment industries
- You have a minimum of 10 years of accounting experience and at least 5 years’ experience managing a team
- You have experience hiring and building a cohesive accounting team
- You have a solid understanding of US GAAP, general accounting processes, internal controls, financial analysis tools and techniques
- You are well-versed in Microsoft Excel
- You have impressive attention to detail, an ability to learn quickly and execute effectively in a fast-paced environment
- You have a solid work ethic, possess a positive can-do attitude, and can work under minimal direction
- You collaborate well with others on your team and cross-functionally
- You stay organized with a wide variety of tasks and perform well in a deadline-driven environment
- You have strong communications skills
- You possess a get-it-done attitude
- Oracle Fusion experience, and real estate or REITs experience are all preferred, but not required
- Accounting / Control
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.