Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® company, is an urban office REIT uniquely focused on world-class collaborative life science and technology campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle Park. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science and technology campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For additional information on Alexandria, please visit www.are.com.
The Senior Director – Asset Services is responsible for overseeing project operations, tenant relations and tenant improvement management activities for a portfolio of properties. In addition, the Senior Director – Asset Services will also be responsible for assisting in many aspects of the Company’s operations including, but not limited to, tenant leasing, tenant improvements, new construction and due diligence activities as necessary for the Seattle region and beyond as needs and growth dictate. The individual will be a self-directed and motivated individual capable of managing both large and small project teams, resolving complex issues in a timely manner while prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex (including sexual or gender identity), religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or medical condition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform property management functions to included, but not limited to, physical inspection of the property and tenant spaces at least once a month or as needed.
- Oversee the management of third party building engineers. Work closely with the applicable engineer(s) to be kept informed of the day to day property and tenant issues.
- Perform accounting functions using the Company’s management control system.
- Plan, manage and track capital projects scheduled in the budget to assure on time and on budget.
- Oversee and track that routine annual/quarterly maintenance projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Assure that City and Agency required forms and renewals are completed on time.
- Oversee, manage and/or perform other property management functions required of the position and assigned project(s).
- Perform/prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports in accordance with Company protocols and requirements.
- Prepare/participate in the development of the annual property operating budgets.
- Timely collections of monthly rents.
- Reconciliation of financial statements and ledgers.
- Reconciliation of operating expenses.
- Review all leases and amendments. Note nuances to the lease and share with the portfolio team important lease points.
- Work with ARE Legal group as needed on tenant requests not clear or stipulated in the lease.
- Respond immediately to liability issues and report details to Risk Management.
Tenant/Life Science Community Relations:
- Respond quickly to tenant requests and questions on an as needed basis.
- Develop relationship with management and facility representatives for each client tenant.
- Review operating expense variances and make determinations on when to adjust tenant charges, while involving tenant in the process.
- Review amenities and keep refreshed to be current, and market-driven.
- Provide new tenants with standard ARE/Tenant Responsibilities.
- Understand each tenant’s space needs to provide flexibility/expansion/relocation within ARE properties.
- Participate in industry events in order to maintain and expand Alexandria’s presence in the life science and technology communities.
- Support tenant improvement projects to include, but not limited to, work letter administration, tenant plan review, architect and contractor engagement and management, budget and tenant improvement allowance monitoring and management and project close-out.
- As directed by Alexandria senior management, support tenant build-outs and mechanical and other major building system upgrades, including capital project oversight and implementation.
- Review construction schedules to direct adjustment of work activities as needed to avoid disruption to other tenants in multi-tenant buildings.
- Participate in property operations set-up to include, but not limited to, back-of-house operations, major building equipment commissioning and operations and engineering team oversight.
- Facilitate showings in newly developed buildings by working with the regional market leaders, construction and development services team, general contractor, sub-contractors, and leasing agent(s) to ensure that all operations support the strengths of the portfolio.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum BS or BA degree in a field of business, architecture or engineering.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years of proven and documented success in the asset/property management industry with direct practical experience setting up operations, operating and managing sophisticated facilities. A minimum of 2 years direct experience with operations, design and construction of R&D laboratory and technical facilities.
- Prior experience as a building engineer, or related technical role, is required.
- Experience with HVAC and Building Management Systems (Siemens, Schneider, Honeywell, etc.).
- Working knowledge of Preventative Maintenance Data Base System required
- Demonstrate an understanding of laboratory HVAC systems.
- Direct working experience for a commercial real estate developer or owner/developer highly desired.
- Experience with complex life science facilities.
- Exceptional communication and people skills.
- Experience managing others.
- Enjoy all aspects of customer service from development of systems, to delivery of service to service follow-up.
- Strong financial skills are required.
- Computer proficient skills with strong knowledge in spreadsheet preparation and working experience with all Microsoft Office Products, including but not limited to, Project, Excel, Word, Outlook, and with skills to learn proprietary software systems utilized by Alexandria.
- Experience in all phases of property operations, inclusive of asset and property management functions.
- Knowledge of key liability and legal issues in property management.
- Experience with complex, highly technical commercial building system applications, including building system commissioning experience and set-up strategies.
- Experience with tenant improvement projects ranging from build-out of building shell space, to modifications of built-out space, to demolition of and complete renovation of existing built-out space.
- Outgoing and energetic in community and industry organizations.
- Able to work varying and flexible schedule to include obligations outside of regular business hours.
- Ability to travel as necessary to meet project goals and objectives is required.
- Asset Management
- Financial Analysis
- Property Management
5+ to 7 years