Come join one of San Diego’s four S&P 500 companies, Realty Income Corporation, The Monthly Dividend Company®. Realty Income attracts smart, high performing individuals who value integrity, perseverance, and team work. If working in a highly professional environment that rewards employees resonates with you, please apply today.
Our opening is for an experienced Senior Legal Counsel who will assist with the acquisitions of new properties (completed and development projects) for the Company; provide professional legal counsel to, and supervise and administer all necessary legal services in assigned matters, in conjunction with other in-house attorneys and paralegals or outside counsel and third-party service providers as required; provide legal advice to the relevant decision makers throughout the Company.
Specifically, the Senior Legal Counsel will be responsible to:
- Coordinate, analyze, manage, negotiate, document and close wide range of routine to complex acquisition transactions, including a variety of transaction structures (e.g., asset, corporate, merger, etc.).
- Review, draft, negotiate and approve documents relating to the routine-to-complex acquisition of real estate, e.g., confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, correspondence, purchase agreements, escrow instructions, lease agreements, lease or other document abstracts, amendments, assignments, estoppels, development agreements, title objection letters, deeds, closing documents, business entity documents, transaction summaries, etc.
- Review, evaluate and approve information and reports received in connection with routine-to-complex acquisition transactions, e.g., title commitments and exception documents, plats, site plans, plans and specifications, surveys, environmental reports, engineering reports, construction monitoring reports, etc.
- Review existing loan documents and negotiate lender consent documents in connection with the assumption of in-place loans encumbering real estate.
- Supervise paralegals in coordinating escrow closings and post-closing matters.
- Exercise creativity and resourcefulness in resolving legal matters effectively and efficiently.
- Consult with the Portfolio Acquisitions team on deal structure and strategic alternatives for acquisition of more complex opportunities.
- Develop and make recommendations to Assistant General Counsel or General Counsel regarding improvements to internal policies and procedures for handling acquisition and development transactions.
- Review and approve construction draw requests; assist in coordinating, processing and documenting same and closing projects out.
- Second-level review of attorney and paralegal work, as needed.
- General legal research and investigation.
- Routine advice/counsel to all departments on legal matters.
- General legal document review, drafting and negotiating.
- title documents.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Juris Doctorate degree with proven academic success from an accredited law school, together with substantial experience in commercial real estate transaction law;
- Minimum of 6-12 years of on-point legal experience; and
- Any combination of training, experience, skills and other characteristics that would provide the requisite knowledge and abilities in support of the essential job functions.
- Membership in State Bar of California. [Note: Non-California attorneys who otherwise meet the requisite qualifications are not necessarily ineligible to perform legal work for the Company, but, if employed in such a capacity, would be required to register with the State Bar of California and hold the title of “Senior Registered In-House Counsel” (versus Senior Legal Counsel).]
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate complex ideas and issues clearly and concisely.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret a wide variety of routine-to-complex legal documents and agreements.
- Adept and proficient at advanced legal document drafting and negotiating.
- Ability to effectively identify, research and analyze routine-to-complex legal issues, assess potential exposure, propose alternative courses of action and make well-reasoned recommendations.
- Ability to exercise creativity and resourcefulness in problem solving and promote effective and efficient resolution of legal matters.
- Ability to analyze complicated and complex legal matters and make well-reasoned judgments to minimize risk and add value to the Department and Company.
- Ability to effectively manage time, handle multiple projects concurrently, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, and to function effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to actively listen to others, understand their position and respond appropriately.
- Adaptability to diverse legal issues and areas of legal practice.
- Highly proficient, effective; exceedingly professional.
7+ to 10 years