JOB TITLE: Vice President of Development
REPORTS TO: President
LOCATION: Holyoke, MA
Our client delivers intelligent, creative solutions for complex real estate development challenges.
The firm has a rich 138-year history. Project planning services include construction and development of the Basketball Hall of Fame as well as numerous college and research facilities across New England; real estate and facilities management; alternative energy solutions; and environmental clean-up projects across the U.S., including Boston Harbor.
The firm was established in 1979, but its history dates back to 1879, with the founding of what is currently the region’s largest construction company. The company was founded on the principles of hard work, integrity, and quality. A century later, the firm has expanded and diversified into the construction management, property development, and energy and environmental services industries.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President of Development must be able to provide hands-on management of a team necessary to successfully direct the complete development process for various commercial/multifamily residential projects. In conjunction with the executive group, the Vice President will develop objectives and strategies in support of business development goals. The VP will also spearhead Business Development efforts to build the development project pipeline.
- Create an opportunity pipeline in accordance with an agreed upon strategic plan and financial targets;
- Identify, build, and foster strategic internal and external relationships to drive development opportunities;
- Determine physical site feasibility, establish project design objectives, and establish permitting, design, and construction delivery deadlines;
- Responsible for cultivating and managing key commercial brokerage/leasing relationships;
- Upon completion of a project, follow up with tenants or clients to ensure their satisfaction and to develop an ongoing relationship for future projects;
- Obtain testimonial and endorsement for use in future client negotiations and marketing;
- Assist the president in developing new areas of business by pursuing related projects consistent with the company’s strategy and approved long range plans;
- Be alert to business development opportunities by establishing a presence in areas and specific markets where assigned;
- Represent the company in local public and press relations.
Acquisitions / Financial Tasks:
- Evaluate new development opportunities from an investment perspective;
- Responsible for the project staying within budget and on schedule;
- Work with the controller, president, and others to develop and maintain complex development project financial models;
- Assist the president and/or controller in identifying and obtaining necessary project capital financing and project equity sources.
Development Project Management:
- Responsible for managing the project analysis and conceptualization, site selection, design and engineering, permitting, budgeting, construction schedule, and commissioning of a wide variety of potential development projects;
- Oversee the day to day business of managing the overall development process including recommending project design consultants, traffic consultants, site engineers, market study consultants, and any other third-party consultants as required;
- Represent the company and clients in negotiations with federal, state, and local government officials, partners, consultants, architects, neighborhood groups, and others involved in the approval to proceed decision-making process;
- Represent the company in all meetings with staff and board members of state and local permit granting authorities, (such as, Conservation Commission, Planning Board, City Engineer, Department of Public Works, Historic Commission) in advance of all formal submissions.
General / Operations:
- Keep current on new methods, products, and design concepts;
- Handle company administrative duties as required;
- Assist with staff development, training, and supervision;
- Meet reporting and administration requirement of position.
- 10+ years of real estate development and/or acquisition experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, engineering, real estate development or related field;
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks within a tight time schedule;
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, written, and oral communication skills;
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and financial modeling;
- Strong work ethic and highly developed problem-solving skills;
- Careful attention to detail;
- Ability to think creatively and contribute to meeting project goals; and
- Enjoy working under time constraints and ability to excel under pressure.
- Business Development
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.