Senior Acquisition Analyst
Venterra Realty owns and manages 57 apartment communities in 12 major US cities providing housing to over 27,000 residents. Founded in 2001, Venterra has completed over $4 billion in transactions, manages a current portfolio in excess of $2.0 billion, and has over 500 employees. At Venterra, we:
- Commit to excellence. This is highlighted by outperforming all public Multifamily Real Estate Investment Trust peers on bottom line growth consecutively for the past five years.
- Are a recognized leader in organizational culture. We have been recognized as a “Fortune Top 100 Best Medium Workplace”, by Great Place to Work Institute, and awarded a 2016 & 2017 “Best Place to Work”, on Glassdoor.com.
- We have a strong history of success and rapid organizational growth.
- Are focused on developing our people. More than 75% of our regional and National positions have been filled through internal promotions.
- Have a strong and robust system of core values that form the foundation of our interactions with each other, our communities, our investors and our partners.
Located in Houston, the Senior Underwriting Analyst will play an integral role in supporting Venterra’s acquisition efforts in Texas, with a primary focus on Houston. This new position will serve a critical role in two distinct growth channels – the acquisition of already built apartment communities and development activities related to new apartment construction. In this role, the candidate will be responsible for underwriting possible apartment related acquisitions/land developments, conducting an asset-specific market investigation, participating in due diligence efforts and presenting investment opportunities to the Investment Committee. The position will work very closely with two local Transaction Managers. This will involve a high degree of collaboration to identify, assess, and complete good investment opportunities.
The position provides the opportunity to be an integral part of the team that will drive Venterra’s future growth and is a position rich in learning. The candidate will have the opportunity to work with many operational areas of the business, as well as ongoing direct contact with senior executives and founders; brokers and investors. This role has multiple avenues for growth, both within this very strategic area of the business (acquisitions) and within the larger organization.
- Underwriting and analysis of potential acquisition opportunities, re-financings, and divestitures
- Performing decision support analysis and due diligence on potential real estate transactions
- On-site visits and assessment of assets and markets, locations and competitors
- Support and financial analysis for development projects
- Performing various ad hoc analyses for investment decisions
Qualifications / Requirements
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in the Houston market including extended residence within Houston
- An undergraduate degree in Business/Commerce with a preference for a concentration in Real Estate
- Demonstrated high level of accomplishment at a recognized university or college
- 6 or more years of relevant work experience; some of this experience must be in real estate transactions (acquisitions, asset management, financing or operations)
- A very high level of demonstrated proficiency in using Excel, to perform detailed modeling and complex financial analysis – strong understanding of financial statements
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to distill large amounts of unstructured/structured data into concise, actionable insights.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal – the role will require frequent interaction with senior executives and the investment committee
- A background in land development, operations analysis or project management would be an asset.
- The ideal candidate will be equally an independent self-starter, and a solid team player
- Occasional travel to review properties, site-specific locations and to our Canadian office will be required.
The Position will be located in Venterra’s Houston Corporate Office, with some flexibility due to job requirements and local travel.
- Competitive Base Salary and performance bonus
- A robust package of Health (Medical (PPO), Dental, Vision), 401k matching and paid vacation benefits, among other things
- Educational Assistance / Reimbursement
- Opportunity to grow within the acquisitions/growth teams, operations, and corporate office.
5+ to 7 years