Department: Portfolio and Asset Management
FLSA Status: Exempt; Regular Full-time
Position Title: Associate, Property Management Liaison
Reports To: Managing Director, Portfolio and Asset Management
Location: Washington, DC
Date: July 2018
The Associate will typically have a minimum of five years of property management experience, acting as a liaison between asset management and property management, communicating National’s general expectations and property management practices to achieve excellence from investment partners and third-party property managers.
- Under the direction of the portfolio and asset management professionals, support the administration, oversight, reporting, and analysis of day-to-day property management operations, and its impact on fund(s) performance.
- On a consistent basis, endorse and improve National’s property management standards in accordance with National’s investment guidelines, by fostering strong stakeholder relationships and effectively streamlining monitoring of property operations.
- Uphold thorough recordkeeping practices for all assets under management, ensuring that relevant documentation is preserved in accordance with policy and regulation(s) and available for inquiries or examinations in real-time.
- Assist asset management staff with the execution of their duties as requested, serving as a liaison between staff and third-parties, to establish consistent processes, for projects such as, but not limited to forecasting, financial analysis, lease documentation and administration, lease negotiations, marketing and sales analysis, capital and operating budget evaluations, risk-adjusted return analysis and supporting the consistent, timely and accurate preparation of the annual ownership budget.
- Monitor and evaluate comparable product type operations to identify material best practices or noted deficiencies as a function of compliance testing for consistency of operations and performance reporting across National’s portfolio of investments.
- As assigned, direct and monitor performance of third party managers and brokers in all aspects of property management and leasing; review annual operating budgets; pro-actively assist asset managers in implementing actions to achieve or exceed budgeted performance.
- Exercise due care and in accordance with company policy when accessing National’s systems and information assets, ensuring that, as appropriate, the confidentiality and privacy of data is maintained at all times.
- As assigned, review and recommend leases and annual property level operating budgets and capital budgets.
- As directed with oversight, work with investment and/or asset management staff on new acquisitions or dispositions due diligence reporting and recording.
- Assist in planning and implementing portfolio-wide investment projects and processes, including but not limited to dashboard and software upgrades, insurance monitoring, and ad-hoc client and consultant requests.
- As requested, prepare analytical and special reporting, while summarizing and proactively presenting property management industry data and trends to senior professionals.
- Demonstrate commitment to National’s Sustainability Policy and best practices where feasible by incorporating environmental, social and governance dimensions into daily business activities and decision-making.
- Periodic overnight travel is required on an as needed project-specific basis to attend meetings and special events.
- Strict adherence to the terms and provisions as detailed in National’s Employee Handbook.
- Complete compliance with National’s Regulatory Compliance Manual, Code of Ethics and underlying compliance policies and procedures.
- Prepare and assist in the written and oral presentation processes of existing investments.
- Prepare recommendations for improved operational or asset level performance.
- Assist in keeping abreast of market conditions, industry news, and legal issues to determine impact on National’s investment.
- Continue professional development as appropriate.
- Organize, attend and actively contribute to internal staff meetings. Communicate confidently in a collaborative team environment providing timely updates on all new initiatives, inquiries and responses related to stakeholder relationships.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree in real estate, business, management or another related field is required. A graduate degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the areas of Class A office, retail, or apartment property management. Proven successful experience with property management responsibilities, such as, financial operating and analytical reporting, annual budgets, CAM Reconciliations, tenant relations and lease agreements.
- Property management or real estate license and/or certifications, such as a Certified Property Manager (CPM) or Certified Apartment Manager (CAM) is preferred.
- Demonstrated history of fostering open and productive relationships with clients, property owners, colleagues, and other stakeholders to support National’s mission to exceed client expectations. Must be able to successfully work independently and interact professionally and collaboratively with colleagues in a fast-paced, complex professional business environment, with the ability to prioritize and successfully handle multiple projects.
- Must be a data driven decision maker with strong analytical, critical thinking, and strategic planning abilities, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to assume progressively responsible work.
- Must act ethically, be highly detailed and possess excellent financial, mathematical and project management skills and be able to work with complex databases and/or quantitative tools with proficiency and accuracy for extended periods of time. Must have a strong work ethic and remain committed to meeting deadlines.
- Ability to spend extended hours traveling nationwide to different project sites and office locations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Outlook with advanced to expert knowledge of Excel is required. Experience with real estate portfolio software such as Yardi, MRI or similar platform is required.
- This job primarily operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. It is a sedentary role in a professional environment; however, incumbent is required to regularly walk, sit, talk and/or hear, reach with hands and arms.
- Asset Management
- Portfolio Management
- Property Management
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
5+ to 7 years