POSITION TITLE: General Manager / Hotel Manager
REPORTS TO: Owner and Corporate Staff
Joining a boutique and independent hotel, the General Manager will be responsible for all aspects of operations. They are expected to embrace an entrepreneurial and hands on approach to this project and will be an ambassador for not only the hotel, but also the brand. We are a small property located in the submarket of Venice Beach/Santa Monica, steps from the Pacific Ocean.
The GM will provide leadership and strategic planning regarding this construction/conversion and maintain oversight, scheduling, and management throughout. They will work very closely with hotel ownership and supervisors to manage profitability, pricing strategies, guest satisfaction, and on-site staff.
GM DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- You are directly responsible for sales, marketing, revenue management, financial accountability and all maintenance of the physical property.
- Manage capital projects and the refurbishment process.
- Develop and roll out hotel Standard Operating Procedures/Operating Manual for front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, and all auxiliary staff.
- Establish hotel operating controls, SOP’s, procedures and service standards.
- This role will be directly responsible for managing the Front Office, Housekeeping and Repairs & Maintenance departments.
- Management of front office personnel will be key in the success of this position.
Finance and Purchasing
- Oversees expenses according to budgeted guidelines to maximize hotel profitability. Responsible for reviewing payroll and ensuring effective labor management.
- Implement sound purchasing policies, systems and procedures. Obtain competitive quotations for hotel requirements and ensure that the best product is sourced and purchased.
- Set short and long-term strategic goals, improvement actions for the property.
- Manage on-going profitability of the hotel, ensuring revenue and guest satisfaction targets are met and exceeded.
- Contract with third-party vendors to consolidate purchasing for operating supplies and FF&E.
- Strong operational background – ability to lead all key property issues including capital projects, customer service and refurbishment.
- Ensure compliance with Preventative Maintenance and Deep Cleaning Programs through the daily and/or weekly inspection of rooms with the Housekeeping Manager and R&M team.
- Safeguard the quality of operations both (internal & external audits).
- Ensure Occupational Health & Safety Act, fire regulations and other legal requirements are met.
Revenue and Sales
- Closely monitor the hotels business reports on a daily basis, including but not limited to chargebacks, OTA commissions, fees, and make decisions/take action accordingly.
- Design effective and successful sales, pricing, distributions and yielding strategies to achieve and enhance profitability.
- Identify and help implement value-added services, such as local partnerships, performances, and events.
- Encourages and collaborates with hotel team to set an example of the expected level of guest service.
- Customer service oriented, ensuring a highly-personalized and locally-inspired guest experience.
- Personally follows up on all guest inquiries, issues and concerns in a timely and effective manner to ensure high standards of quality and service are maintained.
- Responsible for effectively interviewing, hiring, coaching and developing hotel team members and management team.
- Prepares and conducts annual team member reviews in a timely manner.
- Oversee any salary, disciplinary or staffing/human resources related actions.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned and highly intelligent hotel professional with outstanding, management skills and extensive hands-on experience. Available to work when needed, including weekends, holidays, and nights. A strong understanding of hotel operations, profitability management and the ability to react with impactful strategies is also a must. Excellent computer system skills.
A university degree in hotel management or a related field with experience in opening, managing or re-positioning a hotel with clear track record.
Minimum seven years of experience in the hospitality industry with progressive responsibilities with at least three years experience leading a team as a Hotel/Resident/Operations/Rooms Division Manager.
Advanced proficiency in OPERA
Experience in MS Office Suite
Experience using third party channel managers and managing OTA extranets
- Project Management
- Hospitality / Entertainment
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.