The Retail Manager will represent the DowntownDC Business Improvement District (BID) regarding the DowntownDC retail economy and the implementation of the BID’s Retail Strategy with the goal of increasing DowntownDC shopping from approximately 800,000 square feet (SF) to 1.2 million SF by: (1) serving as the primary point-for-contact for all retail matters in the DowntownDC BID area, (2) working closely with DowntownDC property owners, retail brokers and retail tenants in the BID area, and (3) partnering with the DC government and other DC business organizations to maintain and improve Downtown’s and the city’s retail environment.
- Implement the DowntownDC BID’s Retail Strategy to increase DowntownDC shopping from approximately 800,000 SF to 1.2 million SF, by (listed below are the Strategy’s initial initiatives):
- Amend and improve the DowntownDC BID’s Retail Strategy as needed.
- Establish relationships with Downtown property owners, retail brokers and retailers, including quarterly retail meetings.
- Collect and maintain current data on DowntownDC retail occupancy, vacancy and opportunities.
- Meet regularly with DC government officials and other business organizations to discuss the state of DowntownDC retail and retail opportunities.
- Maintain a general knowledge of retail trends within the District, region and nation.
- Publish regular one-page report on DowntownDC retail.
- Manage outside consultants as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Retail Manager reports to the Director of Economic Development.
This position is focused on the DowntownDC retail sector, particularly shopping. The Retail manager will have relationships with property owners, retail brokers, retailers, DC government officials and other retail-related business organizations. The Retail Manager will track and market the performance of DowntownDC retail and the implementation of the DowntownDC Retail Strategy. This position does authorize expenditures and obligate funds as outlined in the BID’s annual budget and handles contracts, purchase orders and invoices following established procedures. Carries out directives and established policies, and completes assignments, with moderate supervision. Prioritizes own work for maximum efficiency and productivity.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Marketing, Urban Planning, Finance, or other relevant field of study preferred.
- Three to five-years work experience as manager or assistant manager of a Downtown retail district, regional mall or other retail district or organization.
- Ability to oversee a retail branding process.
- High level of attention to detail and a passion to ”get it right”.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to establish working relationships with other business and retail-oriented organizations and practitioners.
- Knowledge of the retail landscape in metropolitan Washington, DC is preferred.
- Ability to prepare and analyze reports and data – demonstrating comfort with numbers and mathematics is preferred.
- Some experience in economic and community development is preferred.
- Some experience with progressive business and/or economic development is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint required. Photoshop, Salesforce and Adobe illustrator a plus.
- Business Development
- Project Management
- Research/Market Analysis
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.