Please apply via this link:
Head of Capital Projects
Reports to: EVP, Asset Management
Midwood Investment and Development (Midwood) is looking for a self-motivated, analytical and organized individual with a keen attention to detail to join our Asset Management team as our new AVP, Head of Capital Projects . This person will be is responsible for expediting space turnover to Tenants portfolio-wide at stabilized properties as well as new development projects. This position will also be responsible for developing and managing a comprehensive plan for building improvements, portfolio-wide, to preserve the assets and enhance value. This position will interact across multiple groups within the organization as it relates to coordination of Tenant plans and major capital improvement initiatives.
The successful candidate's responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Prepares contracts and tracks project schedules and deadlines for capital projects.
- Tracks project schedules, deadlines, and budgets.
- Assists with annual construction and renovation budget creation for the entire portfolio of properties.
- Coordinates all parties involved in a project including architects, engineers, consultants, contractors, city officials, and the property management team.
- Supports the due diligence process during property acquisition by assessing building condition, recommending improvement projects, estimating costs, and creating a 1 to 5-year construction budget.
- Coordinate with architects or space planners for preparation of lease outline drawings (LODs) on prospective tenant space when required.
- Understand the current condition of the space for each deal proactively helping the Tenant or it's Architect to obtain information on existing conditions. Understand any site constraints and possible impact on Tenant buildout.
- Be engaged in negotiating Landlord Workletters or Tenant scope of work to help expedite lease execution by effectively communicating with the leasing and legal teams and promptly responding to inquiries.
- Participate in the review for accuracy of proposed LODs, Letter of Intents (LOIs), Landlord Workletters and Lease Agreements to protect Landlord interest.
- Provide conceptual pricing for prospective tenant deals.
- Prepare construction related lease exhibits as required.
- Review lease agreements for language that may inhibit the earliest possible opening, place the company at risk for loss or place additional economic burden on the company.
- Create and coordinate conceptual estimates for lease budgetary purposes.
- Assist tenants through the design, permitting and build out process.
- Manage tenant allowance process on assigned projects.
- Respond to inquiries from contractor, design consultant, leasing personnel and others, as they arise.
- Serve as liaison between contractors, architects and engineers.
- Coordinate with all parties to ensure that the lease terms of delivery are met.
- Review, comment and approve Tenant construction documents to maintain Landlord standards and to ensure specific criteria for compliance and the best design possible.
- Compare Tenant construction documents to Lease Agreements and Landlord Workletters to ensure consistency and adherence.
- Troubleshoot design and construction issues as they arise.
- Coordinate meetings with tenants, design team and construction team; will include site visits.
- Create and maintain a critical path schedule for all projects to ensure that multiple, simultaneous and sequential tasks are being monitored and executed for timely completion.
- Communicate progress regularly to upper management on deal progression and milestones.
- Ensure that any delivery dates required by a lease are managed by monitoring deals in process, escalating any deal that is in danger of missing the delivery date, and proposing solutions to ensure the delivery date is met, understanding if any penalties may apply.
- Research possibility of expedited schedules to turnover/open Tenants as early as possible.
- Oversee any major capital improvement project, portfolio-wide.
- Stay well-informed on industry trends as it relates to maintaining our properties’ value, viability and sustainability and make suggestions for improvements and implementation.
- Champion corporate/division initiatives, implement division best practices, and utilize systems and tools provided in a way that optimizes the quality and quantity of work.
- Provide a high level of customer services to all customers both internally and externally.
Minimum Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
- 5+ years experience in a Tenant Coordination or Project Management role.
- BS Degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related degree preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Must communicate well between all team members, departments and the senior management group to ensure an accurate flow of information.
- Good knowledge of site engineering and of building materials.
- Experience reviewing architectural and engineering drawings.
- Familiarity of engineering systems such as electrical, plumbing, sprinkler, FDSC, structural and HVAC.
- Experience with project management software a plus.
- Ability to effectively implement Tenant and Landlord construction requirements as it relates to Lease Agreement obligations.
- A high level of professionalism with a customer service attitude.
- Team player, self-motivated and excellent time management/ organizational habits.
- Encourages unity, harmony and teamwork among co-workers.
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to occasionally climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job will require use of hands to fingers with the ability to handle, or feel objects, sit, talk and hear. It will occasionally require employee to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will regularly work inside the headquarters office as well as traveling to various job sites and properties. Employee must be able to pass pre-employment and random drug screens.
- Travel will be required so employee must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Project Management
5+ to 7 years