The Head of Development Services has the primary responsibility for all aspects of development projects including due diligence and evaluation of acquisitions, entitlement, design, presentation, pre-construction, initial tenant improvements, and project close completion.
This position acts as the primary Shorenstein representative externally with JV partners, third party developers, architects, engineering consultants, contractors, design builders, attorneys, community groups, and others on development specific projects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee all aspects of development projects and activities, including project development schedule, budget, and forecasts.
- Ensure all projects are built on schedule and within budget. Monitor issues and obstacles threatening project success. Identify and evaluate alternatives to keep project on track, and effectively implement corrective measures. Communicate issues impacting the schedule or budget to the Managing Director, Investment Group - East/West.
- Oversee and maintain effective working relationships with joint venture partners and third party development managers during all facets of the development life cycle.
- Ensure the Development staff effectively liaises with other business groups to ensure accurate and complete financial records and reporting including Yardi, MAP reports, and Development Fees. Ensure the Development Manager effectively liaises with construction lenders, JV partners, third party development consultants, and vendors on construction loan draws and equity payments.
- Assist Capital Transactions Group by providing development financial analysis pre- and post- acquisition.
- Direct the process for the rezoning or entitlement work needed for the land investment. Oversee public agency interaction, document preparation, and processing required for approvals by redevelopment, planning zoning, building and all other public agencies.
- Directly manage the procurement and services of architectural firms needed for the achievement of the development strategy.
- Oversees and manages the Development Services Team, exempt and non-exempt staff. Ability to direct and coordinate the work of staff in a matrix environment.
- Demonstrate effective management, leadership, coaching and development of staff to achieve company and department goals and objectives.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management from a four-year College or University. Graduate degree strongly preferred but not required.
- Thorough knowledge of the project development and management process as evidenced by a minimum of 10 years of direct experience as a Development Manager, preferably for commercial office building or mixed use projects of similar size and scope.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting principles and practices for project management including budget and financial statement analysis, forecasting, and construction accounting as evidenced by 10 years of related experience.
- Strong working knowledge of real estate analysis and evaluation as evidenced by a minimum of 10 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to direct, motivate, and coordinate the work of others.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Word. Advanced proficiency in Excel, MS Project, and project management software such as Prolog, Skier, or Primavera and related software programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret complex documents, e.g. contracts and other legal documents. Demonstrated ability to respond effectively and diplomatically to sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to effectively share information to keep others informed.
- Travel may be required up to 20% of time on the job to project sites, including those not located in the Bay Area.
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.