MassDevelopment is accepting applications for the position of Vice President of Real Estate Services for the Agency’s Boston office.
Offering a wide range of finance programs and real estate development services, MassDevelopment supports economic growth, development, and investment across all sectors of the Massachusetts economy: public and private; commercial, industrial, and residential; and nonprofit, including healthcare, educational, cultural, and human-service providers. Our staff works in collaboration with developers, businesses, and banks to identify investors and leverage funds to support economic growth. For more information about MassDevelopment, please visit our website.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Development and Planning, this position works with the real estate services team to provide land use and economic development advisory services open to all municipalities in Massachusetts, through the development and administration of the real estate department’s programs, including technical assistance, ULI TAP, the Site Readiness Program, and community workshops. This position will be the real estate team’s representative to MassDevelopment’s Boston and/or South Region teams, working closely with individual municipalities, groups of municipalities, and regional partners to manage, market, and promote real estate services projects and programs in the region(s).
Projects may include but will not be limited to the creation of land use plans and design guidelines; market analysis; creation of RFQs & RFPs; developer selection; review of financial, zoning, and environmental issues and legal documentation; permitting; and helping secure public financing.
This position’s project management role will involve all aspects of a project from selection, consultant identification, and coordination with municipal officials and various stakeholder groups through the drafting, editing, and completion of final presentations and/or reports. The role requires active participation on project teams, providing guidance to consultants to ensure work products meet MassDevelopment standards and objectives. Projects often require this position to provide assistance to other MassDevelopment departments that manage press inquiries, events, and tours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing consulting assignments within a city or town, including but not limited to master planning, building reuse assessment, market studies, regulatory analysis and pre-permitting, or other services appropriate to advancing site development.
- Understanding the MassDevelopment house doctor consultants’ areas of expertise.
- Hiring and managing consultants with appropriate skill sets to perform project analysis, land use plans, site analysis, market surveys, financial analysis, site plans, and construction work.
- Writing project descriptions, recommendations, and briefings for senior management and the Board of Directors as required.
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and ongoing facilitation of a real estate services application process including taking a lead role on the review of and coordination of input on all applications received from various MassDevelopment departments.
- Serving as the real estate division’s Boston and/or south region team representative.
- Reviewing, prioritizing, evaluating, and assisting in the selection of potential new opportunities to provide planning and development assistance and/or to undertake development projects with particular focus on the north region.
- Working with the Senior Vice President of Development & Planning and others in the real estate services department to determine capacity of the team to provide assistance based on cost, scale, location, and timing of projects.
- Conducting ongoing analysis and mapping of the geographic distribution of applications received within the real estate services application round and recommended awards.
- Providing ongoing assistance with the administration of the real estate service department’s Site Readiness Program.
- Developing and maintaining project work plans, including budgets, personnel and consultant requirements, and schedules.
- Developing and maintaining productive working relationships with municipal, state, and federal appointed and elected officials, staff, and regulators, as well as for-profit and nonprofit developers throughout the consulting process; tracking projects to determine outcomes; tracking required status reports and repayments; maintaining project records.
- Assessing the eligibility and viability of proposed projects for services managed by the real estate division including (a) insuring that projects align with the Agency’s mission, goals, and objectives, (b) conducting preliminary feasibility analysis, (c) forecasting required expenditures and identifying potential Agency risks, (d) identifying potential sources of funding, and (e) preparing a project scope of services.
- Preparing and submitting regular updates on projects related to regular Agency reporting requirements as well as responding to time-sensitive requests for information. Clearly conveying the priorities, standards, and process of the Agency to interested parties and potential customers.
- Managing all aspects of procurement of services for projects, following the Agency policies and procedures for procurement.
- Working with MassDevelopment staff to ensure proper flow of communication and information.
- Coordinating with legal, finance programs, and accounting departments as needed.
- Managing and directing interdisciplinary project teams made up of Agency staff, consultants, and others from project concept to completion.
- Occasional travel throughout the Commonwealth.
- Perform other related functions as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in planning, architecture, real estate, public policy, economics, or related field
- 3-5 years of professional experience in project management
- Strong knowledge of land-use practices, urban and regional planning, public/private development, and economic development initiatives is essential
- Familiarity and a working knowledge of federal, state, or local economic development programs, incentives, and policy initiatives, as well as governmental regulations regarding land-use controls, is required
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Must have valid Massachusetts driver’s license and access to a vehicle or the ability to independently travel throughout the Commonwealth
- Master’s degree preferred with a concentration in planning, architecture, real estate, public policy, economics, or related field
- 5-7 years of professional experience in project management
- Experience working for a municipality or regional planning agency
- Knowledge of GIS, CAD, InDesign, and SketchUp a plus
- Interest and some experience in innovative technology, including economic development tools
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, or hear
- Must be able to operate office equipment
- Occasional reaching above shoulder heights or below the waist
- Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds as required to file documents or store materials during the workday
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus, distance vision, and color vision
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Kindly email your resume and application to us. This posting can close without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer - MassDevelopment is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.
- Architecture / Design
- Property Management
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.