Title: Loan Originator
Department: Barings Alternatives Investments - Real Estate Debt
Location: Chicago, IL or Plano, TX
Barings is a $325+ billion* global financial services firm dedicated to meeting the evolving investment and capital needs of our clients and customers. Through active asset management and direct origination, we provide innovative solutions and access to differentiated opportunities across public and private capital markets. A subsidiary of MassMutual, Barings maintains a strong global presence with business and investment professionals located across North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
Barings Alternative Investments (BAI), part of Barings LLC, is a 430+ associate team located across 11 countries that manages $61.4 billion* in client capital. BAI seeks differentiated sources of returns by incorporating decades of investment experience in alternative assets offering investors access to a diverse range of opportunities across private equity, real assets, asset-based investments and both debt and equity real estate investments. We serve as a trusted partner to clients, leveraging our global presence and robust origination capabilities to identify the most attractive risk-adjusted return opportunities.
*As of June 30, 2019 Barings LLC
- Maintain and develop relationships with commercial real estate firms in the Central/Western Region of the U.S. to source real estate lending opportunities including structured debt, bridge loans, core loans, mezzanine, preferred equity, construction and agency opportunities.
- Create and maintain relationships with target borrowers, advisors, and intermediaries which will provide a consistent pipeline of suitable investment opportunities.
- Create and implement a clear market coverage strategy to drive origination volume.
- Mentor and assist with training and developing junior team members within the group.
- Maintain activity in our Client Relationship Manager (“CRM”) system, Salesforce.com.
- Provide feedback on market conditions, competition, supply/demand dynamics and insights regarding new product development needed.
- Participate in industry related events (internal and external, conferences, etc.).
- Liaise with other product areas across Barings Real Estate and Barings overall.
- Work with legal counsel and underwriters to negotiate term sheets, loan agreements, intercreditor agreements and related legal documentation.
- Work with the underwriting and other resources on transaction reviews, financial modeling, market surveys, tenant credit analysis, and analyzing third-party reports.
- Present investments with underwriting to the Investment Committee.
- Collaborate with other members of the investment team to achieve company objectives.
- Minimum of 10 years commercial real estate investment experience, including five years minimum experience in structured debt originations.
- Experience screening, structuring and closing commercial real estate loans.
- Quantitative abilities needed as well as general knowledge of debt capital markets.
- Strong network of contacts among owners, developers, brokers, financiers, and others active in Central/Western U.S. real estate markets.
- Bachelor’s degree required with Real Estate, Business or Finance preferred.
- Solutions focused mindset; creative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; interact with members of senior management, executives and line staff in a positive and collegial manner
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and collaboration skills
- Effective negotiator with demonstrated ability to achieve consensus
- Ability to operate autonomously with transparency and integrity
- Sophisticated financial skills, quantitative underwriting skills, and capital markets perspective with ability to structure investments to achieve investment requirements
- Must have strong leadership qualities, a client service focus and a high standard of professionalism
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Meet tight timelines and make key recommendations and decisions
- Willingness and ability to travel overnight
- Investment Management
- Alternative Investments
- Hospitality / Entertainment
7+ to 10 years
This job is no longer active.