Role: Acquisitions Director
Company: Universal Standard Housing (USH)
Office location: Downtown Los Angeles
Imagine a world where every home has access to a good life – because, regardless of their income, they love where and how they live. We are committed to making this vision a reality.
Universal Standard Housing (USH) is a fast-growing multi-dimensional enterprise transforming the delivery of housing from the intersection of real estate and automated manufacturing technology. Our company is resolved to relieve the housing shortage in Los Angeles and other major markets by building new, mass appeal homes that households across the income spectrum desire and can afford.
We use our experience and inventive design and construction techniques to quickly build and manage new, amenity-rich, eco-friendly, high quality apartments in neighborhoods that want and need new housing. Coupled with industry-leading branding, marketing, and communications strategies, we are securing a sizable market position to serve a segment with growing demand for our product – a dynamic that will certainly lead to rapid growth for the company and each of the team members that are part of this initial growth phase.
Founded in Los Angeles, USH is currently in a capacity-building stage with expectations to quickly expand to a national footprint. In that process, we expect to double the size of our workforce in the next 12 months, recruiting talented and ambitious professionals across every one of our business divisions, from real estate acquisitions, data science, construction management, design and development, communications, and property management.
About the Role:
USH is seeking an Acquisitions Director to work closely with the firm’s partners. As a key member of the Investment Team, the Acquisitions Director will manage origination, structuring, underwriting and execution of acquisitions. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of experience managing acquisition development opportunities with exposure to joint venture equity investing and desire to join a well-capitalized yet entrepreneurial environment.
- Source compelling investment opportunities through regular communication and networking with developers, brokers, lenders, and other market participants
- Help shape high level investment strategy
- Lead the internal underwriting process including managing the preparation of complex financial models as well as investment summaries and other internal memoranda
- Present transactions to the firm’s investment committee
- Lead the negotiation, due diligence and closing processes including detailed oversight of third-party consultants, attorneys and transaction counterparties
- Negotiation of joint venture and other legal documents
- 5+ years of commercial real estate experience in a transactional setting with focus on acquisitions, brokerage or investments
- Experience with multifamily development as well as other property types in the Los Angeles market
- Experience sourcing and leading underwriting, due diligence and deal execution
- Working knowledge of the entitlement and development process
- Familiarity with joint venture legal documentation and knowledge of capitalization of real estate deals
- Strong relationship builder with entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with third parties including developers and brokers
- High level of integrity and dependability
- Strong sense of urgency and detail & results-orientation
- A Strategic thinker who can break down complex problems into meaningful, actionable steps, set and communicate priorities for his/her team and the rest of the management team
- You know how to ask the right questions and are passionate about using data to support and drive informed business decisions
- Demonstrate and foster a sense of urgency, commitment, and accountability while making sound decisions and achieving goals
- You want to know how things work and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty to find out
- You can identify critical issues and craft practical solutions that enable the creation of sustainable competitive advantage
- High energy, results-oriented, entrepreneurial, self-starter, open, direct, a smart risk-taker
- Ability to deal effectively with ambiguity, change, and adapt appropriately to a range of situations
- Integrity and a strong moral compass as well as passion for innovating our industry
- You are always looking for ways for you and your team to improve
- You will uphold the values and contribute to developing a positive and inclusive company culture, while also being a results-oriented leader
- Business Development
- Alternative Investments
5+ to 7 years
Apply for this job